2009- UPPCS Upper Subordinate Prelims Question Paper:
UPPCS PREVIOUS YEAR PAPERS
1. Who hailed Gandhi’s call for ‘Quit India’ as an ‘Epic Movement’ ?
(A) Ram Manohar Lohia (B) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
(C) Subhash Chandra Bose (D) Jai Prakash Narayan
2. In which year English was made the medium of instruction in India ?
(A) 1844 A.D. (B) 1835 A.D.
(C) 1833 A.D. (D) 1813 A.D.
3. Roshan Akhtar was of another name of—
(A) Ahmed Shah (B) Muhammad Shah
(C) Jahandar Shah (D) Shah Alam
4. What was the original name of Afzal Khan ?
(A) Abdullah Bhatari (B) Samsuddin
(C) Sabar (D) Muhammad Khan
5. Who among the following were Saints of Varkari sect ?
1. Chakradhar 2. Jnanesvar
3. Namadev 4. Ramdas
Indicate the correct answer form the codes given below—
(A) 1, 2 (B) 2, 3
(C) 3, 4 (D) 1, 2, 3, 4
6. Who is known as the “Father of Muslim Renaissance in Bengal” ?
(A) Abdul Latif (B) Mirza Ghulam Ahmed
(C) Muhammad Qasim (D) Rashid Ahmed Gangohi
7. Which one of the following leaders was not a part of Noncooperation movement ?
(A) M. A. Ansari (B) M. A. Zinnah
(C) Abul Kalam Azad (D) Hakim Ajmal Khan
8. Between which stations was the first railway line opened in India ?
(A) Calcutta to Raniganj (B) Bombay to Pune
(C) Calcutta to Jamshedpur (D) Bombay to Thane
9. Who was the President of the ‘Flag Committee’ ?
(A) B. R. Ambedkar (B) J. B. Kriplani
(C) K. M. Munshi (D) D. P. Khetan
10. Who said over the radio on 30th January 1948 “The Father of Nation is no more” ?
(A) Sardar Patel (B) Jawaharlal Nehru
(C) Rajendra Prasad (D) Rajgopalachari
11. In which year was the National Development Council set up ?
(A) 1949 A.D. (B) 1950 A.D.
(C) 1951 A.D. (D) 1952 A.D.
12. Which one of the following books is associated with rise of National Movement in India ?
(A) Gitanjali (B) Anand Math
(C) Satyagrah Prakash (D) Gita Rahasya
13. Bijauliya Movement was related to—
(A) Kerala (B) Assam
(C) Rajasthan (D) Orissa
14. Which was the first State to be created on linguistic basis ?
(A) Madras (B) Andhra Pradesh
(C) Bombay (D) Gujarat
15. Indo-Pak border is known as—
(A) Durand Line (B) Mc Mohan Line
(C) Redcliffe Line (D) Line of Control
16. The excavation at Chanhu Daro was directed by—
(A) John Marshall (B) J. H. Mackay
(C) R. E. M. Wheeler (D) Aurel Stein
17. Which of the following Harappan towns is divided into three parts ?
(A) Kalibanga (B) Lothal
(C) Chanhudaro (D) Dholavira
18. Which of the following is the most common motif of the Indus Seals ?
(A) Unicorn (B) Bull
(C) Rhinoceros (D) Elephant
19. Robert Bruce Foote, who discovered first Palaeolithic tool in India, was originally a—
(A) Palaeobotanist (B) Geologist
(C) Archaeologist (D) Historian
20. The earliest evidence of agriculture in Indian Subcontinent has been obtained from—
(A) Brahmagiri (B) Chirand
(C) Mehrgarh (D) Burzahom
21. Which of the following wasnotworshipped by the Harappans?
(A) Shiva (B) Mother Goddess
(C) Peepal (D) Vishnu
22. Satapatha Brahmana is related to—
(A) Rigveda (B) Yajurveda
(C) Samaveda (D) Atharvaveda
23. King Ashvapati of the Upanishadic Age was the ruler of—
(A) Kekaya (B) Matsya
(C) Panchala (D) Sursena
24. Who of the following propounded the theory of the Arctic region as the home land of the Aryan speaking people ?
(A) Max Muller (B) Edward Meyer
(C) Bal Gangadhar Tilak (D) Herzefeld
25. Who was the priest of the Bharatas in the battle of Ten Kings ?
(A) Visvamitra (B) Vasishtha
(C) Atri (D) Bhrigu
26. To which Sakha does the published Rigveda Samhita belong ?
(A) Saunaka (B) Ashvalayan
(C) Shakala (D) Sankhayana
Who wrote the Book entitled ‘Ghulamgiri’ ?
(A) B. R. Ambedkar (B) Narayan Guru
(C) Jyotiba Phule (D) M. P. Pillai
28. Which one of the following had supported Mahatma Gandhi on the Non-cooperation resolution at the Special Calcutta Session, 1920 ?
(A) C. R. Das (B) B. C. Pal
(C) Annie Besant (D) Motilal Nehru
29. Which one of the following books is the official History of Revolt of 1857 ?
(A) Eighteen Fifty Seven (B) Theories of Indian Mutiny
(C) The Sepoy Mutiny and the Revolt of 1857 (D) None of the above
30. Which one of the following had for the first time accepted that British victory at Plassey was the victory of breach of faith ?
(A) Lord Clive (B) Vansittort
(C) Hector Munro (D) None of the above
Solved Question Paper of UPPSC Uper Subordinate Exam 2012:
31. Which one of the following had drafted the Hindu Widows Remarriage Act ?
(A) Lord Canning (B) Lord Dalhousie
(C) Lord Hardinge (D) None of the above
32. When was the Treaty of Alinagar signed ?
(A) February 1756 (B) September 1756
(C) February 1757 (D) April 1757
33. In which of the following Sessions of Muslim League Two—
Nation Theory was propounded ?
(A) Lahore Session, 1940 (B) Bombay Session, 1915
(C) Delhi Session, 1918 (D) Calcutta Session, 1917
34. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(A) Girish Chandra Ghose —Mir Kasim
(B) D. L. Roy —Chhatrapati Shivaji
(C) Kshirod Prasad Vidyavinod —Nand Kumar
(D) Nikhil Nath Roy —Pratapaditya
35. Who was the biographer of A.O. Hume ?
(A) W. Wederbirn (B) Lord Dufferin
(C) J. Charles (D) None of the above
36. Which young woman leader was symbol of defiance and resistance during Quit India Movement ?
(A) Sarojini Naidu (B) Kalpana Dutt Joshi
(C) Sucheta Kriplani (D) Aruna Asaf Ali
37. Who among the following teachers were visited by Siddhartha Gautama in the quest of knowledge before his enlightenment ?
1. Alara Kalama 2. Udraka Ramaputra
3. Makkhali Gosala 4. Nigantha Nataputta
Indicate your answer from the codes given below—
(A) 1 and 4 (B) 4 and 2
(C) 2 and 3 (D) 1 and 2
38. Which of the following Upnishads is written in prose ?
(A) Isa (B) Katha
(C) Brihadaranyaka (D) Svetasvatara
39. The twenty thrid Jain Tirthankar was associated with—
(A) Vaishali (B) Kausambi
(C) Varanasi (D) Sravasti
40. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer from the codes given below the lists—
List-I (Jain Tirthankaras)(a) Santinatha (b) Mallinatha
(c) Parsvanatha (d) Mahavira
List-II (Cognizance)1. Antelope 2. Lion
3. Serpent 4. Water jar
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 1 2 4 3
(B) 4 1 3 2
(C) 2 3 1 4
(D) 1 4 3 2
41. Who among the following laid down punishment for a person becoming mendicant without making adequate provision for dependent wife and children ?
(A) Manu (B) Yajnavalkya
(C) Kautilya (D) Narada
42. Consider the following statements and select the correct answer from the codes given below—
Assertion (A) :In the maximum number of Varsavasas Gautama Buddha stayed at Sravasti.
Reason (R) :Prasenjit, the ruler of Sravasti was of the same age as Gautama Buddha.
Codes :(A) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A)
(B) Both (A) and (R) are true but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A)
(C) (A) is true, but (R) is false
(D) (A) is false, but (R) is true
43. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(A) Sakyas —Kapilvastu
(B) Koliyas —Ramagrama
(C) Kalamas —Allakappa
(D) Mallas —Kusinagara
44. Where did the Mahasamghika School arise ?
(A) Bodha Gaya (B) Rajagriha
(C) Sravasti (D) Vaisali
Which one of the following Bengali drama was directed against Polygamy ?
(A) Bhanumati Chittavikas (B) Kulin Kulasarvasva
(C) Vidhva Vivaha (D) Nava Natak
46. The statement, “on bended knees I asked for bread and received stone instead” is associated with—
(A) Khilafat Movement (B) Non-Cooperation Movement
(C) Dandi March (D) Quit India Movement
47. Which operation was started by the British Government to arrest the leaders of Quit India Movement ?
(A) Operation Reander Paste (B) Operation Zero Hour
(C) Operation Thunderbolt (D) Operation Blue Star
48. Which one of the following had drafted the fundamental rights resolution at the Karachi Session, 1931 ?
(A) Jawaharlal Nehru (B) Acharya Narendra Deo
(C) Subhash Chandra Bose (D) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
49. The party which observed the ‘Black Day’ on July 3, 1947 against Partition of India was—
(A) Indian National Congress (B) Forward Bloc
(C) Hindu Mahasabha (D) Communist Party of India
50. The First President of Muslim League was—
(A) Nawab Viqar-ul-Mulk Mustaq Hussain (B) Mian Abdul Aziz
(C) Hidayat Hussain Khan (D) Mohammad Ali Jinnah
51. Who said, “Like summer gale revolt of Meerut was unprecedented and short-lived” ?
(A) S. N. Sen (B) R. C. Majumdar
(C) S. B. Chaudhuri (D) V. D. Savarkar
52. Which one of the following pairs isnotcorrectly matched ?
(A) Charsada —Pushkalavati
(B) Sirkap —Takshasila
(C) Nagarjundakonda —Dhanyakataka
(D) Tamluk —Tamralipti
53. Rulers of which of the following dynasties bore the title Devaputra ?
(A) Maurya (B) Sunga
(C) Kushana (D) Saka-Kshatrapa
54. Rulers of which of the following dynasties maintained diplomatic relations with distant countries like Syria in the West ?
(A) Maurya (B) Gupta
(C) Pallava (D) Chola
55. Who identified ‘Sandra Kottus’ of the Greco-Roman literature with Chandragupta Maurya ?
(A) D. R. Bhandarkar (B) Alexander Cunningham
(C) R. P. Chanda (D) William Jones
56. Who were the beneficiaries of Asoka’s donations in the region of Barabar Hill ?
(A) Buddhists (B) Ajivikas
(C) Svetambar Jains (D) Digambar Jains
57. In which of the following inscriptions Ashoka made his famous declaration, ‘All men are my children’ ?
(A) Minor Rock Edict (Ahraura) (B) Pillar Edict VII
(C) Lumbini Pillar Edict (D) Separate Kaling Rock Edict I
58. Who among the following is credited to have performed four Asvamedha sacrifices ?
(A) Pushyamitra Sunga (B) Pravarasena I
(C) Samudragupta (D) Nandivarman Pallavamalla
59. Who among the following had joined Akbar’s Din-i-Ilahi ?
(A) Birbal (B) Bhagwan Das
(C) Man Singh (D) Surjan Rai
60. Jonaraja in his Rajatarangini, continued the narration of Kalhana upto—
(A) Jaya Singh (B) Sultan Sikandar
(C) Sultan Zainul Abidin (D) Muhammad Shah
UP Samiksha Adhikari Solved Question Paper:
61. Which new department was started by Muhammad-bin- Tughlaq for the development of agriculture ?
(A) Diwan-i-Risalat (B) Diwan-i-Ashraf
(C) Diwan-i-Kohi (D) Diwan-i-Mustkharaz
62. The largest of the Pallava Rathas is—
(A) Arjuna (B) Bhima
(C) Dharmaraja (D) Draupadi
63. Who of the following adopted ‘Garuda’ as dynastic emblem after the imperial Guptas ?
(A) Rashtrakutas (B) Western Chalukyas
(C) Shilaharas (D) Chedis
64. Who among the following had the title ‘Parama-Saugata’ ?
(A) Bhaskar Varman (B) Shashanka
(C) Rajya Vardhana (D) Harsha
65. Who had appointed Parnadatta as the Provincial Governor of Saurashtra ?
(A) Chandragupta Maurya (B) Rudradaman
(C) Chandragupta II (D) Skandagupta
66. Which one of the following Bengali writers was the first to suggest the adoption of Hindi as India’s National Language ?
(A) Bhudeva Mukherjee (B) Dinbandhu Mitra
(C) Madhusudan Datta (D) Kali Prasanna Sinha
67. Which one of the following is known as Mother of Indian Revolutionaries ?
(A) Annie Besant (B) Sarojini Naidu
(C) Madame Cama (D) Usha Mehta
68. Which one of the following had drafted the ‘Quit India Resolution’ ?
(A) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (B) Jawahar Lal Nehru
(C) Mahatma Gandhi (D) Acharya Narendra Deo
69. In which of the following places Hindu Mahasabha was for the first time organised in 1915 ?
(A) Haridwar (B) Allahabad
(C) Varanasi (D) None of the above
70. Who among the following had read the English version of Presidential address in the Tripuri Session of Indian National Congress, 1939 ?
(A) Acharya Narendra Deo (B) Sarat Chandra Bose
(C) Subhash Chandra Bose (D) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
71. Who among the following was a lady Alvar Saint ?
(A) Andal (B) Madhura Kavi
(C) Perumal (D) Tirupan
72. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(A) Nagananda —Harsha
(C) Mrichchhakatika —Sudraka
(D) Ratnavali —Rajasekhara
73. Who among the following called themselves ‘Brahma-Kshatriay’ ?
(A) Palas (B) Senas
(C) Pratiharas (D) Chahamanas
74. The North Indian Dynasties that confronted the Rashtrakutas were—
(A) The Pratiharas and the Paramaras
(B) The Palas and the Chandelas
(C) The Pratiharas and the Palas
(D) The Chalukyas and the Chahamanas
75. ‘Niralamba Saraswati (Saraswati is now without support)’ thus lamented a poet at the demise of—
(A) Chahmana Visaladeva (B) Chandela Kirtivarma
(C) Mihira Bhoja (D) Bhoja Paramara
SSC, IBPS, UPS, PSC and RRB General Science Preparation:
76. The custom ‘Santhara’ is related to which of the following sects ?
(A) Jain (B) Saiva
(C) Sakta (D) Vaishnava
77. Who is supposed to be the future Buddha in Mahayana Buddhism ?
(A) Krakuchanda (B) Amitabha
(C) Maitreya (D) Kanak Muni
78. Which of the following incarnations of Vishnu is represented in art as raising the Earth from the
(A) Kurma (B) Varaha
(C) Matsya (D) Nrisingha
79. The Srivijaya ruler, who completed the construction of the Buddhist Vihara started by his father at Nagapattana during the reign of Rajaraja I, was—
(A) Samaragravira (B) Balaputradeva
(C) Maravijayottunga Varman (D) Trailokyaraja
80. Gangaikondacholapuram became the capital of the Chola empire from the time of—
(A) Parantaka I (B) Rajendra I
(C) Kulottunga I (D) Vikrama Chola
81. Who are the four Rajput clans described in Prithviraja-Raso of Chanda Bardai, who are said to have emerged from fire-pit of Mount Abu ?
(A) Pratiharas, Chahamanas, Gahadavalas, Kalachuris
(B) Paramaras, Chandelas, Chahamanas, Chalukyas
(C) Chahamanas, Kalachuris, Chandelas, Pratiharas
(D) Pratiharas, Chahamanas, Chalukyas, Parmaras
82. The Vikramshila Mahavihara, the renowned educational centre of Pala period was at—
(A) Antichak (B) Aphasad
(C) Basarh (D) Chandimau
83. Which one of the following temples does not belong to the Cholas ?
(A) Brihadishwara (B) Koranganatha
(C) Kailashanatha (D) Airavateshwar
84. Which year of Akbar’s reign has been regarded by the historian, Vincent A. Smith as ‘the most critical time’ ?
(A) 1556 A.D. (B) 1561 A.D.
(C) 1571 A.D. (D) 1581 A.D.
85. Who of the following was the first Indian to write English verse ?
(A) Kashi Prasad Ghosh (B) Ramchandra Vidyavagish
(C) Krishna Mohan Banerjee (D) Hariharanand
86. Which one of the following statements is not correct about Bahadur Shah Zafar ?
(A) He was an emperor without empire
(B) He was a warrior without any war experience
(C) Hassan Askari was his spiritual guide
(D) He succeeded to the throne in 1845 A.D.
87. During whose tenure did the incident of ‘Black Hole’ take place ?
(A) Mir Zafar (B) Mir Qasim
(C) Alivardi Khan (D) Sirajuddaula
88. Which one of the following had bestowed the title of ‘Jagat Seth’ to Fatehchand ?
(A) Alivardi Khan (B) Sirajuddaula
(C) Mir Zafar (D) Muhammad Shah
89. In which of the following languages the book entitled ‘Hind Swaraj’ was written ?
(A) Hindi (B) Urdu
(C) Gujarati (D) English
90. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(A) Baz Bahadur —Malwa
(B) Sultan Muzaffar Shah—Gujarat
(C) Yusuf Adil Shah—Ahmednagar
(D) Qutub Shah —Golkunda
GK Question Answer for UPSC Exam Preparation:
91. During the time of Alauddin’s invasion Warangal was ruled by—
(A) Chalukya Dynasty (B) Chola Dynasty
(C) Kakatiya Dynasty (D) Yadava Dynasty
92. Who of the following Rajput rulers gave donation for the reconstruction of a mosque ?
(A) Mihir Bhoja (B) Bhoja Parmar
(C) Prithviraj III (D) Jai Singh Siddharaj
93. Arrange the followig rulers of Kashmir in a chronological order—
1. Avantivarman 2. Didda
3. Harsha 4. Jaya Singh
Indicate your answer from the codes below—
(A) 1, 2, 3, 4 (B) 2, 3, 4, 1
(C) 3, 4, 1, 2 (D) 4, 1, 2, 3
94. Which one of the following was not constructed by Qutubuddin Aibak ?
(A) Kubbat-ul-Islam mosque (B) Qutub Minar
(C) Adhai din Ka Jhopada (D) Alai Darwaja
95. Vijayanagar empire was founded during the reign period of—
(A) Firoz Tughlaq (B) Sikandar Lodi
(C) Ghiyasuddin Tughlaq (D) Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq
96. The historian Sewell has written a book entitled ‘A Forgotten Empire’. What was the name of empire ?
(A) Mughal Empire (B) Vijayanagar Empire
(C) Maratha Empire (D) Mauryan Empire
97. Which one of the following officers was the superintendent of port under the Mughals ?
(A) Mutsaddi (B) Mir-i-Bahar
(C) Tahvildar (D) Mushrif
98. Which one of the following was not a reason for Balban abandoning the policy of conquest and adopting the policy of consolidation ?
(A) Threat of external invasion (B) Internal revolts
(C) Indian Kings willing to throw off the Turkish rule (D) His weak nature
99. Which one of the following Sultans, was not an off spring of Iltutmish, but was the last successor of his dynasty ?
(A) Rukn-ud-din Firoz (B) Razia
(C) Muizuddin Bahram Shah (D) Nasiruddin Mahmud
100. Which one of the following sons of Alauddin Khalji was born of his wife Jhatyapali, the daughter of Raja Ramchandra Dev of Devagiri ?
(A) Shihabuddin Umar (B) Khizr Khan
(C) Qutbuddin Mubarak (D) Sadi Khan
101. What was Khanqah ?
(A) Works of Poet Amir Khusro (B) Court of Sikandar Lodi
(C) Birth place of Khwaja Muinud-din Chisti (D) The place where Sufi Mystics lived
102. On whom Emperor Akbar conferred the title of ‘Jagat Guru’ ?
(A) Purushottam (B) Dastur Meherji Rana
(C) Hira Vijay Suri (D) Devi
103. Which Queen of Jahangir had committed suicide by consuming poison ?
(A) Harkhabai (B) Manmati
(C) Jodhpuri Begam (D) Zeb-un-nisa
104. Who among the foreign travellers describes how the ‘Ganges water’ was carried in copper vessels for Mughal Emperors to drink ?
(A) Thomas Coryat (B) Edward Terry
(C) Ralph Fitch (D) Sir Thomas Roe
105. Who was the member of Ulema, who issued the ‘Fatwa’ against Akbar from Jaunpur ?
(A) Mullayazdi (B) Mirza Hakim
(C) Abdun Nabi (D) Abdullah Sultanpuri
UPSC Civil Services Previous Year Solved Question Paper:
106. Who wrote Futuhat-i-Ferozshahi ?
(A) Alberuni (B) Firoz Shah Tughlaq
(C) Utbi (D) Ibn Batuta
107. Who among the following was the lowest in rank in the Maratha infantry ?
(A) Nayak (B) Hawaldar
(C) Zumladar (D) Hazari
108. In the third battle of Panipat Marathas were defeated by—
(A) Mughals (B) Rohillas
(C) Britishers (D) Afghans
109. What was Bargir in Maratha army ?
(A) Infantry (B) Front liner
(C) Cavalry (D) Water carrier
110. Who among the following was a Jahangiri Painter ?
(A) Abul Hasan (B) Abdus Samad
(C) Daswant (D) Mir Sayyid Ali
111. Where in India, did the Protuguese build their first fortress ?
(A) Cochin (B) Goa
(C) Anjidiv (D) Cannanore
112. Which Maratha State was the last to accept the Subsidiary Alliance of the British ?
(A) Gaikwad (B) Sindhia
(C) Holkar (D) Bhonsle
113. During the Mughal period, what was ‘Narnal’ or light artillery ?
(A) One carried on elephantback (B) One carried on camel-back
(C) One carried by man (D) None of the above
114. What do the terms ‘Elchi’ or ‘Safir’ denote in the sixteenth century Mughal administrative vocabulary ?
(A) Ambassadors (B) Rebels
(C) Spies (D) Governors
115. Who among the following constituted Turkan-e-Chihalgani ?
(A) Qutubuddin Aibak (B) Iltutmish
(C) Balban (D) None of these
116. Who was Qazi Fazilat during the reign of Sher Shah ?
(A) The Qazi of Bengal (B) The Chief Qazi of the Afghan Empire
(C) The Governor of Bengal (D) None of the above
117. Who among the following was the ruler of Kanchi during the time of Samudragupta ?
(A) Hastivarman (B) Mantaraja
(C) Nilaraja (D) Vishnugopa
118. Which one of the following places was a mint centre of the Yaudheyas ?
(A) Bayana (B) Rohtak
(C) Bareilly (D) Mathura
119. Which of the following parts were situated on the west coast of South India ?
1. Kaveripattanam 2. Korkai
3. Musiri 4. Tondi
Indicate the correct answer from the codes given below—
(A) 1, 2 (B) 2, 3
(C) 3, 4 (D) 2, 3, 4
120. Who among the following was the first Satavahana King to introduce the ruler’s head on the coins ?
(A) Satakarni I (B) Gautamiputra Satakarni
(C) Vasishthiputra Pulumavi (D) Yajna Satakarni