National AffairsCabinet Approvals on 30 August 2017
- MoU by the Election Commission of India with the Election Management Bodies of other countrie
- MoU with Myanmar for the Conservation of Earthquake-Damaged Pagodas at Bag
- Cabinet approves promulgation of GST (Compensation to States) Ordinance, 2017
- MoU on “India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund”
- MoU between India and Brazil for cooperation in the fields of Zebu Cattle Genomics
- Cabinet apprised of jointly issue of postage stamps between India and Canada
- Cabinet approves equivalence of posts in PSUs, PSBs.
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh has inaugurated the ‘YUVA’ – a skill development programme. It is an initiative taken by Delhi Police under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana on 29th of Aug 2017.
- Delhi Police has tied up with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Confederation of Indian Industry(CII) to provide the job-linked skilling for selected youths.
- As per the reports 2,269 candidates have been selected to be trained by 36 training partners in 45 skills in the next three months.
- A total of 32 police station buildings have been identified where Skill Development Centers would be opened.
- The ‘YUVA’ initiative by Delhi Police aims to connect with youth by upgrading their skill as per their competencies. NSDC and CII would give skill certificates to all participants on completion of the course and also help the youths get jobs under the PMKVY scheme.
- The Uttar Pradesh cabinet has decided to close the process of holding interview for selection of candidates for the government jobs in all the non-gazetted posts of Group B, C and D categories announced on 29th of Aug 2017.
- The decision was taken in a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
- It has been decided with an aim to bring transparency in recruitment in government jobs.
- The state government has decided to do away with the interview in the recruitment of non-gazetted officers from Class II to IV but for recruitment of gazetted officers in Class II category, Interview will be a must.
- The chief minister has also given an assurance that the government will provide jobs to 10 lakh youths in Uttar Pradesh having skills.
International AffairsHurricane Harvey strikes USA,menaces Texas & Louisiana
- Harvey is one of the most destructive storms in US history thrashed Texas for the consecutive fifth day.
- It has claimed 30 lives and left thousands homeless.
- Houston’s mayor imposed an overnight time curfew to prevent looting and opportunistic crimes.
- Harvey was gearing up for another landfall near the Texas-Louisiana border.
- One Indian student has died after he nearly drowned in a swollen lake in the US state of Texas where Hurricane Harvey caused havoc.
- The National Weather Service reported that Houston has already received more than 42 inches of rain due to Harvey.
- The product ‘PoS – Easy Bima Plan’ is the first PoS product for the company. It will provide life cover and also returns all premiums paid during the payment term on survival till maturity.
- It is specially designed to provide an affordable and hassle free protection, to take care of the needs of your loved ones.
- The affordable premiums start from Rs.1,000 annually and there is inbuilt double life cover in case of accidental death.
- It would be available in the bank branches of Canara Bank and Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) in the next two months.
- The product will also be available online in next few months.
BusinessNTPC signs Rs. 3,000-cr term loan agreement with ICICI Bank NTPC has signed a term loan agreement for Rs 3,000 crore with ICICI Bank for partially funding its capital expenditure signed on 29th Aug 2017. The loan has a tenure of 15 years and it will be utilised to part finance the capital expenditure of NTPC. NTPC commissioned 3,845 mw capacity and added 2,190 mw to its commercial capacity during 2016-17. The installed capacity of the group is 51,671 mw as on31st July and has over 28,000 mw of capacity under construction. About ICICI Bank ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) is an Indian multinational banking and financial services. ICICI Bank headquartered is in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, with its registered office in Vadodara. Founded 1994 Chairman: Mr. M. K. Sharma MD & CEO: Mrs. Chanda Kochhar Apps Launched by ICICI iMobile Pockets EazyPay Unicity launches world’s first ever Genomeceuticals range of products in India
- Unicity International has launched world’s first ever Genomeceutical (gene controlling) range of products to India.
- Unicity International headquartered in Orem, Utah, United States.
- Unicity uses advanced Genomecutical technology in its products to support proper gene expression.
Awards & RecognitionNITI Aayog announces 12 winners of the Women Transforming India Awards 2017 Union Minister of Textiles, Information, and Broadcasting Smriti Irani will present Women Transforming India Awards 2017 a prestigious award to 12 incredible women winners at an event in New Delhi on 29th of Aug 2017. TOP 6 CONTESTANTS Laxmi Agarwal: Attacked in 2005 in broad daylight at the age of 15, Laxmi Aggarwal is today a champion of violence against women. She has filed public interest litigations in India’s highest court to restrict the sale of acid. Safeena Husain: The founder and executive director of Educate Girls, a non- profit organization working for girls’ education, Safeena Husain has worked to bring education to some of India’s most backward districts. Kamal Kumbhar: Broke free from the shackles of poverty and a suffocating marriage to create a micro-enterprise network, enabling women like herself to realise their dreams of a brighter tomorrow. Subasini Mistry: After losing her husband at a young age, Subasini Mistry saved for two decades to build a hospital for the needy. Arunima Sinha: Is the first female amputee to scale the highest mountain in the world. Jamuna Tudu: Along with her band of women activists, Jamuna Tudu has conserved 50 hectares of forest land around her village in Jharkhand, taking on encroachers with little more than bows and arrows and courage
Appointments & ResignsDara Khosrowshahi is Uber’s new CEO Dara Khosrowshahi has accepted the position of Uber CEO after he was selected by the company’s board announced on 29th Aug 2017. Important points :
- Uber Technologies has finally announced the appointment of Dara Khosrowshahi as its new chief executive officer.
- He has selected after Travis Kalanick resigned from the position of chief executive.
- Dara will join the company from 30th August.
- He served as a former Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director from January 4, 1999 to April 30, 2001.
- He is an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the 1963 batch.
- Tyre major Bridgestone India has announced badminton player and Olympic silver medallist P V Sindhu as itsfirst brand ambassador announced on 30th Aug 2017.
Science & TechnologyAthletes can identify prohibited medicines with “Pharma Jan Samadhan” app Drug pricing regulator NPPA has tied up with National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA). It will help athletes tounderstand medicines that could contain prohibited substances in sports through its app Pharma Jan Samadhan.
SportsKerela CM launches FIFA U-17 World Cup Logo for Kochi Venue
- Kerala Chief Minister Shri Pinarayi Vijayan has launched the host city logo for Kochi. This time Kochi is selected as one of the venues of FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 announced on 29th Aug 2017.
- The logo represents and reflects Kochi’s identity and will be a valuable tool in linking the local community in a global World Cup.
- The FIFA U-17 World Cup will have India official emblem, it will form a crucial link in the promotions and communications regarding the host city.
- The tournament will be hosted in the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium of the city. It will host eight matches and will feature football powerhouses Brazil, Spain and Germany among others. About 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup The 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup will be the 17th edition of the FIFA U-17 World Cup. It will be the first FIFA tournament hosted by India. The tournament will be hosted by India between 6 and 28 October 2017. The final will be held at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata on 28 October 2017.
Important DaysInternational Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances
- On August 30th each year, The United Nations (UN) observes the International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances. On this day organizations such as the UN and Amnesty International play an active role in raising awareness that enforced disappearance is a crime and should not be used as a tool to deal with situations of conflict. Enforced disappearance :
- It is a strategy to spread terror within the society. It occurs when people are arrested, detained or abducted against their will and when governments refuse to disclose the whereabouts of these people. Enforced disappearance is a global problem and is not restricted to a specific region of the world.