PM Modi inaugurates APJ Abdul Kalam’s memorial
- On July 27, 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated APJ Abdul Kalam’s memorial in Rameshwaram in Tamil Nadu on the second death anniversary of the former president. PM Modi also hoisted the national flag at the memorial.
- The memorial has been designed and built by the Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO). It has been build at a cost of 20 crore and blends Mughal and Indian architecture.
- PM Modi also distributed sanction letters to the beneficiaries of long liner trawlers under the ‘Blue Revolution’ scheme and also flagged off a new express train from Ayodhya to Rameswaram .Later PM Modi released a synopsis of the ‘Green Rameswaram’ project.
Recent Approvals by Central government – July 27 2017
- On July 26, 2017, Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved following bilateral agreements and initiatives:
- Cabinet gives ex-post facto approval for amendment of the Constitution (Application to Jammu & Kashmir) Order, 1954
- Cabinet apprised of the MoU signed between India and Palestine on cooperation in the field of youth affairs and sports
- Cabinet apprised of the Joint Declaration of Intent between India and Germany on Indo German-Centre for Sustainability
- Cabinet approves revision of cost of Socio Economic and Caste Census 2011
- On July 26, 2017, Union Cabinet cleared a new Minimum Wage Code Bill that will integrate four different wage legislations.
Mumbai Metro launches India’s first mobile ticketing system
- The Mumbai Metro One Private Limited has announced the launch of India’s first Mobile Ticketing System ‘OnGo’on 26th of July 2017.
- About Mumbai Heritage Sites:
♦ Haji Ali: The Haji Ali Dargah is Mumbai’s most popular mosque and tomb, located on an islet 500 metres off the coast of Worli in South Mumbai.
♦ The Gateway of India: The Gateway of India is symbolic of Mumbai.
♦Taj Mahal Palace and Tower: This majestic hotel located in South Mumbai.
- BRICS Labour & Employment Ministers’ Meet was held on 26th and 27th July, 2017 in Chonqging, China. Indian delegation to this meet was led by Bandaru Dattatreya, the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Labour & Employment. M Sathiyavathy, Secretary ( Labour and Employment), Manish Gupta, Joint Secretary, Anuja Bapat, Director and Prof Sasikumar, Sr. Fellow, VVGNLI were also the part of Indian delegation.
- China is the chair for the BRICS Labour & Employment Ministers’ Meet for the year 2017.
- The meeting concluded with the adoption of the BRICS Labour and Employment Ministerial Declaration.
Punjab National Bank ties up with Bajaj Allianz
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) and Bajaj Allianz General Insurance have signed an agreement for the distribution of insurance products through the branches on 26thJuly 2017.
- About PNB:
♦ Founded: 19th May 1894
♦ Founder: LalaLajpatRai
♦ HQ: New Delhi
♦ MD of PNB: Sunil Mehta
♦ Bajaj Allianz General Insurance MD:Tapan Singhel.
BSE inks Cooperation Pact with Egyptian Exchange
- BSE has joined hands with Egyptian Exchange (EGX) for cooperation in exchange of information across business areas.
- About Egypt :
♦ Capital :Cairo
♦ Currency: Egyptian Pound
♦ President:Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
♦ Prime Minister :Sherif Ismail
Codex Alimentarius Commission adopts Codex norms for three spices
- Global food standard-setting body Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) adopted three Codex standards for black, white and green pepper, cumin and thyme paving the way for a universal agreement on identifying quality spices in various countries. These three Codex standards were adopted at CAC’s recent meeting in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said the adoption of these standards will imply that there will be now reference points and benchmarks for the 188 CAC member-countries for trade of these spices.
- The Codex Alimentarius or “Food Code” is a collection of standards, guidelines and codes of practice adopted by the Codex Alimentarius Commission.
Australia sends its first uranium shipment to India
- Australia has sent its first uranium shipment to India for testing purposes ahead of possible commercial sales.
JDU President Nitish Kumar sworn-in as Chief Minister of Bihar for 6th time
- On July 27, 2017, Janata Dal (United) President, Nitish Kumar took oath as Chief Minister of Bihar for 6th time. Ending the grand alliance between his party, Congress and Lalu Prasad Yadav’s Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), Nitish Kumar will now form the new government with the support of BJP-led NDA.
- Senior Bihar BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi also took oath as Deputy Chief Minister.
- On July 26, 2017, after Nitish Kumar resigned as Chief Minister of Bihar on account of differences with RJD, BJP announced support for JD(U) and Nitish Kumar as chief minister. BJP also added that it will be a part of the government.
Axis Bank approves re-appointment of Shikha Sharma as CEO
- Axis Bank has re-appointed Shikha Sharma as MD&CEO of Axis Bank for three-year term from June 2018. Her current term was to end in June 2018.
- About Axis bank
♦ Headquarters : Mumbai
♦ Tagline: BadhtiKa Naam Zindagi
♦ Products of Axis Bank: Lime App, Kisan Card, Asha Home Loan
- Axis Bank has announced that it has agreed to buy mobile payments wallet provider FreeCharge from e-commerce company Snapdeal for Rs 385 crore.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- This rare eclipse will be the first in 99 years, when the Earth will cross the shadow of the moon, creating a total solar eclipse. The event will occur on 21st August 2017.
- Scientists in the US for the first time have successfully used gene-editing tools on human embryos to correct defective DNA that cause inherited diseases. This study may open gates to Designer Babies.
- On the occasion of Foundation Day of Ministry of Earth Sciences in New Delhi Union Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched an app“India Quake”on 27th of July 2017.
- Uttarakhand records second highest tiger count in India
- As per the announcement by Trivendra Singh Rawat, Chief Minister of Uttarakhand the count of tigers in Uttarakhand shot up 242 with an increase of 63 big cats in the year 2017.
- About Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve
♦ Established in 1936 as Hailey National Park to protect the endangered Bengal tiger.
Located in Nainital district of Uttarakhand.
About Rajaji Tiger Reserve
♦ Rajaji National Park is an Indian national park and tiger reserve.The Park has been named after C. Rajagopalachari, the second and last Governor-General of independent India.
♦ In 1983, three wildlife sanctuaries in the area namely, Chilla, Motichur and Rajaji sanctuaries were merged into one.
- Scientists have discovered a new species of glow-in-the-dark shark in the Pacific Ocean.
- The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Competition Committee has awarded Indonesia the hosting of the AFC Under-19 championship 2018.
- The AFC U-19 championship is scheduled to be held from 18 October to 4 November 2018.
- The committee felt that Indonesia was regarded as the most favourable among the bidders.
♦ Capital: Jakarta
♦ Currency: Indonesian Rupiah
♦ President: Joko Widodo
- Former Karnataka CM Dharam Singh passes away in Bengaluru
- Former Karnataka Chief Minister N Dharam Singh passed away on 27th July 2017.He was 80.