Collection of Statistics (Amendment) Bill 2017 passed in Rajya Sabha
- On July 26, 2017, Rajya Sabha passed Collection of Statistics (Amendment) Bill, 2017, which seeks to amend the Collection of Statistics Act, 2008. The amendment bill was introduced by the Minister of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Mr. D.V.Sadananda Gowda in Lok Sabha in March 2017 and was passed in April 2017.
- The Collection of Statistics Act, 2008, was enacted to facilitate the collection of statistics on economics, demographics, social, scientific and environmental aspects.
- The Act extended to the whole of India except Jammu and Kashmir.
Lucknow Metro to be India’s first metro with own FM Station & to offer free water and toilet facilities
- India’s first Lucknow metro network to offer free drinking water and toilet facilities and will also become the first in the country to have its own FM radio station. It has been announced on 24th of July 2017.
- It will also provide free -WiFi at all stations to commuters with a ‘Go Smart’ card.
- It is reported that Lucknow will be the fastest built metro system in the world and the most economical high speed rapid transit system project in India.
- At the 5th Annual Metro Rail Summit held in New Delhi in 2016, Lucknow Metro was awarded ‘Best Metro for Excellence in Innovative Designs’.
- Lucknow Heritage Sites:
♦ Begum Hazrat Mahal Park: Situated in the heart of the city, the Begum Hazrat Mahal Park was built in the memory of the beautiful Queen of Awadh, Begum Hazrat Mahal.
♦ Rumi Darwaza : The Rumi Darwaza is a 60-foot-tall gateway located close to historical landmarks such as Bada Imambara and Chota Imambara in the city of Lucknow.
♦ Bada Imambara: Located at the bank of Gomti River in Lucknow, this historic tomb was built by Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula in 1784.
Madras HC makes Vande Mataram mandatory in Schools, Govt. and Private Offices
- Madras High Court has ruled that Vande Mataram should be sung in all schools and colleges across the state “at least once a week” and in government and private offices “at least once a month”. The order has been issued on 25th of July 2017.
GST Council panel to select National Anti-profiteering Authority
- The Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council has formed a selection committee headed by the Cabinet Secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha to identify and recommend eligible persons for appointment as the chairman and members of the National Anti-profiteering Authority.
India will need $4.5 trillion by 2040 for infrastructure – Global Infrastructure Outlook
- As per `Global Infrastructure Outlook’ released by Global Infrastructure Hub (GIH), India will need investments to the tune of around USD 4.5 trillion till 2040 to develop infrastructure to improve economic growth and community wellbeing. The report is based on an intensive study of 50 countries and seven industry sectors.
- Taking sustainable development goals (SDGs) into account, it is predicted that India will need additional USD 888 billion by 2030 to provide universal household access to electricity and water.
- In absolute terms, the total investment needed to meet the SDGs is greatest in India – a total of USD 1.3 trillion of investment is needed by 2030, more than China, which is USD 257 billion.
2017 BRICS Youth Forum opens in Beijing
- 2017 BRICS Youth Forum opened in Beijing, China on July 25, 2017, to discuss youth development in the BRICS member-nations viz. Brazil Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Theme of 2017 BRICS Youth Forum is “Enhance BRICS Partnership, Promote Youth Development”.
- Representatives will hold discussions on issues concerning youth policies and entrepreneurship, as well as the roles of BRICS youth in global governance, before formulating an action plan for the forum.
Zimbabwe gives Mugabe power to appoint judges
- Zimbabwe’s parliament has passed a bill by amending the constitution to give the president sweeping powers to appoint the country’s top judges without consulting any other institution It has been announced on 25th of July 2017.
- About Zimbabwe
♦ Capital :Harare
♦ Currencies: United States Dollar, South African rand, Euro, Indian rupee, Pound sterling, Renminbi, Botswana pula
♦ President: Robert Mugabe
Inflation to rise noticeably to 4.4% in second half of 2017 : Nomura Report
- According to the Nomura report Retail Inflation in India is expected to rise “noticeably” from ‘trough’ in June to 4.4% in the second half of 2017.
- The core CPI inflation is expected to rise to 4.4% and 5.2%, respectively, by end-2017 and average 5.3% and 6.3% in 2018.
SIDBI starts merchant banking operations to help MSMEs tap market
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has started its full-fledged merchant banking operations to help MSME’s tap market announced on 26th of July 2017.
- Its give benefit to the number of growth-oriented micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs), especially those with a strong technology and innovation quotient.
Its main aim is to enhance the access of MSMEs to the capital markets, including the SME Trading Platform and Institutional Trading Platform.
♦ Small Industries Development Bank of India is an independent financial institution aimed to aid the growth and development of micro, small and medium-scale enterprises (MSME) in India.
♦ It is set up on 2nd April, 1990 through an act of parliament.
♦ The headquarters of SIDBI is in Lucknow.
Microsoft launches ‘Made for India’ Kaizala app
- Microsoft India has launched Kaizala app, a ‘made in India’ app. It ha been designed for large group communications and work management, even for remote locations with 2G optimisation.
- It is powered by Azure Cloud platform.
- Kaizala will help the organisations to communicate, collaborate and complete tasks in an efficient way.
- The Redmond giant has also announced an enterprise version called ‘Kaizala Pro’ .
- Both ‘Kaizala and Kaizala Pro are integrated with Microsoft Office 365.
- Kaizala’ is available in India as a free download on iOS and Android phones.
- ‘Kaizala Pro’ is available for purchase at a list price of Rs 130 per user per month.
♦ Microsoft Corporation abbreviated as( MS) is an American multinational technologyCompany headquartered in Redmond, Washington.
♦ It develops, manufactures, licenses, supports and sells computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and services.
Shri Subhash Chandra Garg has appointed as India’s Alternated Governor on the Board of Governors of ADB. It has been announced on 26th of July 2017.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
CM Yogi Adityanath launches UP-RERA website
- On July 25, 2017, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched Uttar Pradesh Real Estate Regulatory Authority (UP RERA) website, http://www.up-rera.in/ \
- The website will be open for all. It has been developed to ensure that people do not have to take rounds of offices to verify builder details
- Home buyers can get complete information about builders right from registration number of builders to his/her antecedents.
- As soon as the builder or developer feeds all the data relevant to his or her company, they would be given a unique identity number immediately. Earlier, this process, would have taken a minimum of 45 days.
♦ The Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016 is an Act of the Parliament of India which seeks to protect home-buyers as well as help boost investments in the real estate industry. The Act came into force from May 1, 2016.
- Former Australian Grand Slam champion and reputed coach Mervyn Rose has passed on 25th of July 2017. He was 87.
- Veteran freedom fighter and social worker Kubersingh Saklecha passed away on 25thof July 2017. He was 94.
- Noted Gandhian and Freedom fighter K.E. Mammen, who had participated in the Quit India Movement, passed away on July 25, 2017 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 96.
Central Reserve Police Force celebrates 78th anniversary
- The Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF) has celebrated its 78th Anniversary at CRPF Headquarters in New Delhi on 26th of July 2017.
- CRPF Director General , Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar had commemorated and paid homage to the Martyrs who made the supreme sacrifice by laying their lives in the cause of national security.
Kargil Vijay Diwas on July 26 2017
- The country is celebrating the 18th Anniversary of ‘Kargil Vijay Diwas’ on 26th of July,
- On the occasion, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and three Chiefs of Services paid tribute to the soldiers who lost their lives in the Kargil War at Amar Jawan Jyoti, India Gate Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated on 26 July, pay homage to India’s emphatic victory against Pakistan and honors the war heroes.
- On this day in 1999, the Indian Army successfully took control of posts at a high altitude and glaciated terrain across the Himalayas in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, after fighting for 60 days.