FDDI Bill and Admiralty Bill 2017 passed by Rajya Sabha -
On July 24, 2017, Rajya Sabha passed Footwear Design and Development Institute (FDDI) Bill, 2017 and The Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims), 2017. Both the bills were passed by voice vote.
Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017 introduced in LOKSABHA
On July 24, 2017, Government introduced in the Lok Sabha, Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017, a bill providing for allocation of about Rs 2,000 crore from Central Road Fund (CRF) for developing national waterways (NWs).
Islands Development Agency (IDA)-
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh chaired the first meeting of the newly constituted Islands Development Agency (IDA) on 24th of July 2017 in New Delhi
1. The CEO of NITI Aayog has made a detailed presentation on the current status. He informed that Concept Development Plans and Detailed Master Plans are being prepared for identified islands.
2. It includes the following factors principles of sustainability, people’s participation, eco-system preservation and determination of carrying capacity as the guiding principles.
3. It was also decided that Lt. Governor of Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Administrator of Lakshadweep Islands will be included as members of IDA.
♦ The IDA was set up on 1st June 2017.
30,000 affordable houses on private land-
The Centre has approved the construction of 30,000 houses for the urban poor on private land in Maharashtra’s Sholapur on 25th of July 2017.
1. it is first such project to be taken up on private land under PMAY(U).
2.Its main aim is to give momentum to affordable housing in urban areas.
3. Central assistance of Rs 1.50 lakh for each beneficiary is provided under this component.
4. Under the Centre’s flagship programme Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban), the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry gave a nod to central assistance of Rs 450 crore for the project.
5. The cost of each dwelling unit of Rs 6,03,777 has been determined in a transparent manner with central and state assistance. The delivery price would be Rs 3,53,777 per house.
6. The CSMC, has approved the construction of 2,84,803 more affordable houses for urban poor under PMAY (U).
7. Total cost of these houses to be built in six states is Rs 16,407 crore for which central assistance of Rs 4,272 crore has been approved.
8. No. of houses sanctioned for states- Andhra Pradesh- 2,25,245 houses, Uttar Pradesh- 23,322, Tamil Nadu- 15,374, Manipur- 10,392, Assam- 9,767 and Meghalaya- 703.
## World Bank & IMF
World Bank and IMF on 25th of July 2017 declared from government’s independence announced by Bolivia’s President Evo Morales .
1. the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank had dedicated for the economic fate of Bolivia and the world .
2. Since 2006, a year after Morales came to power; social spending on health, education, and poverty programs has increased by over 45%.
♦ Capital: Sucre
♦ Currency: Boliviano
♦ President: Evo Morales
Aurionpro Solutions has introduced the Virtual Teller Machine (VTM) a fully integrated self-service kiosk for automating 90% of banking transactions at the branch level. Branch-in-a-Box product name had been given to this system.
1. The VTM helps in migrating routine transactions like KYC, account opening, passbook and statement printing, video assistance, bill payment, cash and cheques.
On July 25, 2017, NSE Nifty breached the 10,000 level for the first time.
1. Nifty breached the historic 10,000 level by gaining 44.90 points, or 0.45 %, to trade at an all-time high of 10,011.30, surpassing its previous intra-day high of 9,982.05 touched on July 24, 2017.
Intro of Nifty:
National Stock Exchange of India’s benchmark stock market index for Indian equity market is NIFTY 50 index .
♦ It was launched on April 21, 1996.
♦ Currently the NIFTY has 51 constituent stocks representing 13 sectors of Indian Economy.
unveils forex card-
Standard Chartered Bank has launched a Multi-currency Forex Card for overseas travellers.
1. The card will also provide travelers insurance covers against misuse of lost card, personal accident insurance and loss of baggage or personal documents.
2. Some of the currencies that can be loaded are US dollar, Euro, British Pound, Singapore dollar, Swiss franc, Thai baht, Japanese Yen and South African rand.
Standard Chartered Bank
♦ Headquartered in London, England
♦ Founded :1969
♦ Chairman :José Viñals
Food Safety and Authority of India (FSSAI)-
The Food Safety and Authority of India (FSSAI) has banned the stapler pins in tea bags from January 2018 announced on 24th of July 2017.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India established under the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
♦ It has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
♦ FSSAI is responsible for promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
♦ HQ: New Delhi
‘Mahanayak Samman 2017’-
On July 24, 2017, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee conferred this year’s ‘Mahanayak Samman 2017’ to veteran actress Shakuntala Barua for her contribution to the world of cinema.
1. For this year, Prosenjit Chatterjee and Nusrat Jahan took home the Best Actor and Best Actress awards
2. The Best Director, Music Director, Cinematographer and Script Writer awards went to Arindam Sil, Pt Bickram Ghosh, Shoumik Halder and Padmanabha Dasgupta
3. Suparnokanti Karati for ‘Bisarjan’ film and Shiboprasad Mukhopadhyay of Windows Productions for ‘Praktan’ film were awarded in Best Film and Best Producer categories.
♦ Mahanayak Samman is bestowed upon the best talents of the Bengal’s film industry by the West Bengal State Government.
♦ The awards were instituted in memory of Uttam Kumar, who is widely regarded as the greatest actor of Bengali cinema, and also among the greatest actor sever in India.
♦ Mahanayak Awards are given on the death anniversary of Uttam Kumar i.e. 24th
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Google CEO Sundar Pichai
Google CEO SundarPichai is going to join the board of directors of Alphabet, Google’s parent company announced on 7th of July 2017.
1. Alphabet is the second most valuable U.S. company behind Apple.
Google is an American multinational technology company that specializes in Internet-related services and products.
♦ Founded :September 4, 1998
♦ CEO :Sundar Pichai
Ajay Kanwal -
Janalakshmi Financial Services (JFS), the largest microfinance company, has announced the appointment of its new CEO Ajay Kanwal. It has been announced on 25thJuly 2017.
1. Kanwal will take charge from 1st of August 2017. He has having 27 years of experience in both consumer and commercial banking sector.
2. He will replace VS Radhakrishnan, who will take over the role of vice chairman.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Yatra Online Inc has acquired Air Travel Bureau (ATB)announced on 24th July 2017.
About Yatra Online
♦ Industry:Online travel agency
♦ Founded: August 1, 2006
♦ Founder: Dhruv Shringi (CEO)
Human antibodies from B-cells-
Scientists have produced human antibodies in the laboratory for the first timeusing a technique that can lead to rapid development of new vaccines to treat a wide range of infectious diseases.
1. Researchers, led by Facundo Batista from the Francis Crick Institute in the UK, produced specific human antibodies in the laboratory by treating patient-derived B cells with tiny nanoparticles coated with both CpG oligonucleotides and an antigen.
2. The team successfully demonstrated their approach using various bacterial and viral antigens, including the tetanus toxoid and proteins from several strains of influenza A.
Naval patrol vessels Shachi and Shruti-
On July 25, 2017, Reliance Defence and Engineering Limited (subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure) announced the launch of its first two Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels (NOPVs) – ‘Shachi’ and ‘Shruti’ – at their shipyard in Pipavav, Gujarat.
1. The two NOPVs — ‘Shachi’ and ‘Shruti’ — are the first warships to be launched by a private sector shipyard in India.
2. The five NOPVs are patrol ships armed with a 76 mm Super Rapid Gun Mount (SRGM)system along with two 30 mm AK-630 guns, which provide medium range and short range offensive and defensive capabilities.
ICC Women’s ODI Player Rankings-
Kaur has made a jump of seven slots to move to 6th position in the latest ICC Women’s ODI Rankings. It is released on 25th of July 2017.
1. Harmanpreet Kaur’s helped India to defeat Australia by 36 runs in the semi-final of the ICC Women’s World Cup.
2. She has made 51 runs in the final against England.
3. Mithali Raj has gained No. 2 in batting. She is now the second India batter to feature in the top 10.
4. In the ICC Women’s Team Rankings, there was no change in positions with Australia retaining top spot at 128 points. England has gained one point to reach 125 in second position, while New Zealand and India remain on 118 and 113 points.
Asian Youth & Junior Weightlifting Championships-
Indian weightlifter Konsam Ormila Devi has bagged a gold medal at the Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships in Kathmandu, Nepal.
♦ According to the Indian Weightlifting Federation, the weightlifter from Manipur lifted 56kg in snatch and 70kg in clean & jerk for a total effort of 126kg in the 44kg weight category to finish at the top.
Men’s World Boxing Championship in 2021
The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has announced on 24th of July that India will host their first Men’s World Championship in 2021.
1. The announcement was made after a two-day executive committee meeting that was held in Moscow.
2. The AIBA Men’s World Championships 2019 will be held in Russia city of Sochi. iii. The 2018 Women’s World Championships will also be held in New Delhi.
3. The 2019 Women’s World Championships will be held in Trabzon, Turkey.
Professor Yash Pal -
Veteran scientist, administrator and popular science communicator, Professor Yash Palpassed away on July 24, 2017 in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. He was 90.
1. Pal gained recognition because of his contribution in the study of cosmic rays.He had held the position of professor at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Mumbai.He also served as the Director at Space Applications Centre in Ahmedabad for almost nine years, between 1973 and 1981.
2. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1976 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2013.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Book Selected Speeches of President Pranab Mukherjee
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has released the fourth volume of Selected Speeches of President Pranab Mukherjee on 24th of July 2017.