- FM Arun Jaitley introduces bill to amend Banking Regulation Act
On July 24, 2017, The Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017, was introduced in Lok Sabha by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. The bill seeks to amend the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and replace the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017, which was promulgated in May 2017.
Jaitley introduced the Bill amid protests in the House by opposition members over the alleged incidents of lynching by cow vigilantes in different parts of the country.
The bill also has a provision, which empowers RBI to issue other directions for resolution, appoint or approve for appointment, authorities or committees to advise the banking companies for stressed asset resolution.
- Arun Jaitley,a Defence Minister has inaugurated the 315th Sainik Rest House of the Kendriya Sainik Board (KSB) in New Delhi.
- Kerala will be going to host the 5th edition of South India Writers Ensemble (SIWE) at Chengannur in coastal Alappuzha district from 24 July 2017.
- India, Bangladesh sign pact to connect both countries by waterways
- The government has withdrawn from the Rajya Sabha a bill to amend the Architects Act, 1972 which provides for registration of architects. It has been announcedon 24thof July 2017.
- The world’s first full-scale floating wind farm has started to take shape off the north-east coast of Scotland announced on 24th of July 2017.
- Iran and Iraq has signed an agreement to boost military cooperation and the fight against terrorism and extremism on 23th of July 2017.
- Iranian Defence Minister Hossein Dehghan and his Iraqi counterpart Erfan al-Hiyalihas signed a memorandum of understanding which has covered border security, logistics and training.
- Iran has announced the launch of a new missile production line against a backdrop of tension between the United States and Tehran.
- The Sayyad 3 missile can reach an altitude of 27 km (16 miles) and travel up to 120 km (74 miles).
- The missile can target fighter planes, unmanned aerial vehicles, cruise missiles and helicopter..
- In latest update of World Economic Outlook released by International Monetary Fund (IMF) on July 24, 2017, economic growth outlook for India has been kept unchanged at 7.2% in 2017-18 and 7.7% in 2018-19.In its first downgrade for the United Kingdom (UK) since the EU referendum in June 2016, the IMF said it expected the British economy to expand by 1.7% this year, 0.3 points lower than the previous forecast in April 2017.
- IMF has also lowered its growth forecast for US to 2.1% in 2017 as well as in2018.IMF has kept its outlook for global growth unchanged at 3.5% in 2017 and 3.6% in 2018.
- AAI, Uttarakhand Govt ink MoU on aviation development
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has signed a MoU with Government of Uttarakhand Civil Aviation Development Authority (UCADA). The MoU has been signed on 21st of July 2017.
- CCEA gives in-principle approval for selling 51% stake in HPCL to ONGC
- The Cabinet has given an in-principle approval to sell the government’s entire 51.11% stake in Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd to Oil and Natural Gas Corp. It has been announced on 24th of July 2017.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- The Women and Child Development ministry has launched an online platform on 24thof July to enable women employees of the central government to file complaints related to sexual harassment at the workplace.
- “Mobile App for Road Maintenance “Aarambh”launched
The Union Minister Shri Tomar and the ILO Deputy Director General (Policy) International Labour Organization Ms. Deborah Greenfield has launched the Mobile App for Road Maintenance “Aarambh”. It has been announced on 24th of July 2017.
- Scientists have discovered a three new species of toads living in Nevada’s Great Basin in the US.It has been announced on 24th of July 2017.
- Eighth edition of World Para Athletics Championships was held in London, UK from 14th to 23rd July, 2017.It was organized by the World Para Athletics subcommittee of the International Paralympic Committee.
- India ranked at 34th position on medal table. Indian team won 5 medals (1 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze) in this championship.
- Indian Para-athlete Sundar Singh Gurjar became second Indian to win gold at the World Para Athletics Championships.
- India’s Amit Kumar Saroha clinched a silver medal in men’s club throwcompetition, Discus-thrower Karamjyoti Dalal won a Bronze medal, High jumpers Sharad Kumar and Varun Bhati won silver and bronze medal respectively
World Para Athletics Championships 2017 – Medal Table – Top 3:
- England beat India to won ICC women world cup 2017
- The women’s cricket team from England beat India by 9 runs on 24th of July 2017.
- The ICC Women World Cup 2017 held at Lord’s Cricket Ground at London.The 2017 Women’s Cricket World Cup was the eleventh edition of the Cup.
- It was England’s fourth Women’s World Cup title.England had won the World Cup in 1993 and 2009 as well.
- The Player of the Series title has been awarded to Tammy Beaumont of England. She had made most runs, 410 in the tournament.
- The Player of the match has been awarded to Anya Shrubose. She is from England.
- Dane van Niekerk of South Africa took most wickets in the tournament. The total wickets she took in the tournament were 15.
- The 2021 women’s world cup will be held at New Zealand.
About ICC Women’s World Cup
The Women’s Cricket World Cup organised by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
♦ Australia has won the women’s cricket world Cup for record six times followed by England had won 4 times and New Zealand won one time.
♦ India’s Captain: Mithali Raj
♦ England’s Captain: Heather Knight
♦ The first edition was held in England in 1973.
- Indian Shuttler H S Prannoy has won the US Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament title on 24th July 2017.
- He has defeated his compatriot Parupalli Kashyap.
- It was held at Anaheim, California USA.
- In the women’s singles of the tournament, Japanese Aya Ohoriwon the final. She has defeated Michelle Li of Canada.
- World Youth Champion Sachin Siwach had won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Youth Games on 23th of July 2017.
- Sachin had defeated Welsh boxer James Nathan Prober 4-1 in the final of the light flyweight 49 category.
- Siwach was the only one of the 103 boxers to have clinched gold in the tournament.
- The Commonwealth Youth Games held in Nassau Bahamas. The game will be held from 18th July to 23rd July 2017.
- Jony had settled with for silver in the lightweight (60kg) category. Jony lost 2-3 to Australian Ella Jade Boot in the summit clash.
- Muhammed Etash Khan had to be settled with a bronze medal in the bantamweight (56kg) division after losing in the semi-finals
- England has topped the medal table and has won total 51 medals following Australia at no. 2ndpostion with 39 medals, New Zealand at no. 3rd position with 31 medals and Scotland at 4th position with 21 medals.
- India is at 7th position with total 11 medals Gold-4, Silver-1, Bronze-11.
- Internationally-renowned space scientist UR Rao passed away on July 24, 2017 due to age-related health issues. He was 85.
- The first Indian satellite ‘Aryabhata’ was launched in 1975 under his watch.He served as the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for about 10 years between 1984 to 1994.
- Rao was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1976 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2017for his contribution to Indian space technology.
- Former HP Chief secretary Sudripta Roy passes away
- Former Himachal Pradesh chief secretary Sudripta Roy died at the age of 63.