- On July 22, 2017, Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Research Institution of World Ancient, Traditional, Culture & Heritage (RIWATCH)Museum at Roing in Arunachal Pradesh and hoped that it would serve as a place of exchange of cultural values of various tribes of the state and the North East.
- Arunachal Pradesh State Art & Culture Minister, Mohesh Chai said that according to UNESCO report there are 32 languages in Arunachal Pradesh that are on the verge of extinction and the state government is initiating programmes and policies to find out and to revive those minor and major tribal languages.
On the sideline of his visit to Roing, Mr. Rijiju also inaugurated the 235-meter long Chimari Bridge, which would serve as a life line between the National Highway 52 of Roing-Tezu. The bridge has been constructed by Border Roads Organisation(BRO).
- The 5th North East Connectivity Summit- 2018 will be held in Arunachal Pradesh. It has been announced on 20th July 2017.
- The 4th North East Connectivity Summit will be held in Nagaland in the month of September 2017.
- The summit organised by the FICCI is one of the most important forums for action oriented contemplations on sub-regional economic integration and connectivity between North East India and South East Asia.
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has announced a hosting of three-dayInternational Conference on ‘Reclaiming Social Justice, Revisiting Ambedkar’ from 21stJuly to 23rd July to mark 126th birth Anniversary of Dr B R Ambedkar.
- Uttar Pradesh Power Minister Srikant Sharma has launched free power connection scheme for the BPL card holders in the state on 23rd of July 2017.
- India has ranked 132nd out of 152 countries on the inaugural “Commitment to Reducing Inequality Index” released by international NGO Oxfam in association with Developmental Finance International.
♦ Sweden topped the index while Nigeria took the bottom most spot. Sweden is followed by Belgium, Denmark, Norway and Germany.Among India’s neighbouring countries, China’s rank is 87; Pakistan fared worse than India at 146 while Bangladesh ranked at 148.
Commitment to Reducing Inequality Index – Top 10:
- According to National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (NCSTRT) data compiled by the US state department, India is third after Iraq and Afghanistan on a list of countries facing terror attacks in 2016. Earlier, Pakistan held the third position.
- Out of 11,072 terror attacks in 2016 worldwide, 927 attacks occurred in India, 16% more than 2015 (798). The number of deaths in India also rose 17% from 289 in 2015 to 337 last year while the number of injured increased from 500 in 2015 to 636 last year.
- The US analysis has labelled Naxals the third most deadly terror organisation in the world after IS and Taliban, even ahead of Boko Haram. In 2016, nearly two third of terror attacks in India were carried out by Naxals.
- More than half of the terror attacks in India in 2016 took place in four states – J&K, Chhattisgarh, Manipur and Jharkhand.
- China-Russia naval exercise begins in Baltic Sea
China and Russia have started their large-scale naval exercise “Joint Sea 2017” in the Baltic Sea. It has been announced on 23rd of July 2017.
- The exercises will involve jets, helicopters and vessels.
- The Chinese Navy is represented by one of its most advanced missile destroyers, the Hefei, as well as missile frigate Yuncheng and the Luomahu supply ship.
- A welcoming ceremony was held in Baltiysk in northern Russia.
- The two countries focus is to increase cooperation and efficiency in protecting security at sea.
- The government has extended the deadline till 16th August for businesses to opt for composition scheme under the GST regime. It has been announced on 22nd of July 2017.
- Small businesses with turnover of up to Rs 75 lakh were earlier given time till July 21 to opt for the scheme in the Goods and Services Tax regime.
- To opt for composition scheme, the taxpayer needs to log into his account at the GST Portal http://www.gst.gov.in
- They have to select ‘Application to opt for the Composition Scheme’ under ‘Services’ menu and then fill up the Form GST CMP-01 to opt for the scheme.
- Under composition scheme, traders, manufacturers and restaurants can pay tax at 1%, 2% and 5%, respectively.
- India has launched its first petroleum Research & Development (R&D) facility for testing high-end BS-VI quality fuel emissions.
- This “first-of-its kind” facility was inaugurated by Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan in Faridabad in the National Capital Region (NCR) on 22nd of July 2017.
- The R&D facility is designed to test all types of fuel including petrol, diesel, ethanol-blended petrol, bio-diesel, CNG, LNG, hydrogen-CNG and 2G-ethanol blends.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- On July 22, 2017, US Navy commissioned world’s largest aircraft carrier, USS Gerald R Ford into the fleet. The commissioning ceremony was held at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia in presence of US President Donald Trump.
- The ship is named after the 38th President of the United States Gerald Ford and has been built by Newport News Ship Building Company.
- The keel for the US$12.8 billion USS Gerald R Ford was laid down in 2009.
- The massive 1,106-foot-long carrier displaces a staggering 100,000 tons fully loaded and is powered by two new generation nuclear reactors.
- Wi-Fi Local Area Network (LAN) was launched at the Arunachal Pradesh. The facility would modernize work culture in the civil secretariat on 23rd of July 2017.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma has launched a statewide football grassroots development programme ‘Mission Football’at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on 23rd of July 2017
- Mission Football is a project for developing a sustainable infrastructure for the sport in all the 11 districts of the state.
- The government is also seeking financial support from different sources including the North Eastern Council, Union ministry of sports and youth affairs, and funds under Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR).
- The mission would also focus on creating sports parks, football entertainment parks.
- The plan is to develop approximately 1,400 playgrounds in all the 11 districts.
- The government will spend Rs 560 core in the next five years for development of football in Meghalaya.
- Nationalist Congress Party Kerala unit president Uzhavoor Vijayan died on 23rd of July 2017.
- Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington has passed away on 13th of July 2017. He was 41. He was an American Singer.
- Radio broadcasting in country completes 90 years today
- Radio broadcast had completed 90 years in country on 23rd of July 2017. It is the first ever radio broadcast in the country went on the air from the Bombay Station on 23rd July 1927 under a private company, the Indian Broadcasting Company.