- On July 21, 2017, Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Amendment) Bill, 2017, a bill amending the law on free and compulsory education to extend the deadline for teachers to acquire the prescribed minimum qualifications for appointment was passed in Lok Sabha.
- The Ministry of Rural Development will launch a new sub-scheme under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) which will be named as “Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY)”.
- As mentioned by Minister of State for Rural Development, Ram Kripal Yadav the main objectives of AGEY are to provide an alternative source of livelihoods to members of Self Help Groups (SHGs) under DAY-NRLM by facilitating them to operate public transport services in backward rural areas..
- India will be hosting the 5th Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCCS) in 2017. It is one of the world’s largest two day conference on Cyber Space.
- The theme of Cyber4All is “An Inclusive, Sustainable, Developmental, Safe and Secure Cyberspace” . The theme of this conference reflects the changing architecture of India in the Digital space.
- The GCCS 2017 will take place on the 23rd and 24th of November, 2017 in Aero City, New Delhi.
- The GCCS 2017 will be inaugurated by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi.
- The 4th version of GCCS 2015 was held on April 16-17, 2015 in The Hague, Netherlands.
- The Goal of GCCS 2017 is to promote an inclusive Cyber Space with focus on policies and frameworks for inclusivity, sustainability, development, security and safety.
- The Union Cabinet has approved revision of the Indian Community Welfare Fund(ICWF) guidelines. It has been approved on 19th of July 2017.
- The Centre has accepted a proposal to set up an Aerospace University in India. It has been announced on 22nd July 2017.
- As per a report titled ‘Ending AIDS: Progress towards the 90-90-90 targets’ by the Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS, UNAIDS, India, China and Pakistan are among the 10 countries that accounted for more than 95% of all new HIV infections in the Asia and the Pacific region in 2016.
- The report gives a comprehensive analysis of the 2014 targets to accelerate progress so that by 2020, 90% of all HIV-infected people know their status, 90% of all HIV-diagnosed people are accessing antiretroviral therapy (ART) and 90% of those taking ART are virally suppressed.
- However, the report has identified India, China, Indonesia, Pakistan, Vietnam, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia as top 10 countries which together accounted for more than 95% of all new HIV infections in the region in 2016.
- The UN has selected Dubai as the data hub for the Middle East North Africa and South Asia (MENASA) region.
- Karnataka Bank has launched a Met Loan & Life Suraksha” (MLLS) for its customers. It has been announced on 20th of July 2017.
- 197 Asian companies have featured in the latest edition of the Fortune Global 500 list, which ranks companies by their revenues in 2016.
♦ With 197 companies (nearly 40%) on the list Asia is now home to more of these global giants than any other continent, followed by North America (145) and Europe (143). The rest of the world has a mere 15 companies on the list.
Fortune Global 500 list– Top 5:
Country of Origin
- The Toronto Film Festival is set to honour Priyanka Chopra. She will be the guest of honour at the fundraiser event on 6th of September, 2018
- Sanjay Kothari a Chairman of Public Enterprises Selection Board, has been appointed as Secretary to President-elect Ram NathKovind.
- Brenda Hale has been appointed as the first female president of the UK Supreme Court.
- State Bank of India (SBI), the Carlyle Group and GE have announced that they have signed definitive agreements.
- Eurofins Scientific is acquiring Advinus Therapeutics from the Tata Group. Eurofins Scientific is the world leader in food, environment and pharmaceutical products testing and a Luxembourg-based group of laboratories.
- Eurofins, with revenues of 2.54 billion euros and 30,000 employees, operates in 41 countries including in India.
According to its 2015-16 annual report Group holding company Tata Sons Ltd holds a 67.31% stake in Advinus.
- Advinus was started by the Tata group in 2005 as a research outsourcing company with Rashmi Barbhaiya, the former research and development head of Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd.
- A study has been conducted by researchers from University of Hyderabad’s plant sciences department highlights Castor plants can reduce the soil which is highly polluted with heavy metals due to industrial pollution.
- According to PTI, for the first time in 21 years Chennai will not host India’s lone ATP tour tournament. The competition will now be held in Pune and called “Maharashtra Open.”
- Senior Congress leader Shivajirao Patil, passed away on 22nd of July 2017 after a brief illness.He was 92.
- Patil was a former MP and also a former member of the Maharashtra Legislature and the state cabinet.
- He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2013.