- A bill to grant statutory status to the Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode was passed through a voice vote in Lok Sabha on July 19, 2017. The Government has also mentioned that fees for the poor students will not increase and that reservation law will apply in these institutes.
- The previous United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government initiated the opening of 20 IIITs with private partnership of which 15 are already operational.
- The 15 IIITs that are currently operational are located in Chittoor (Andhra Pradesh), Guwahati (Assam), Vadodara (Gujarat), Sonipat (Haryana), Una (Himachal Pradesh), Ranchi (Jharkhand), Dharwad (Karnataka), Kottayam (Kerala), Nagpur and Pune (both Maharashtra), Senapati (Manipur), Kota (Rajasthan), Tiruchirappalli (Tamil Nadu), Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) and Kalyani (West Bengal)
- Cabinet approves MOC in respect of tax matters between India and BRICS countries – Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa
- Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and Netherlands on cooperation in space technology
- Cabinet approves revalidation of permission to raise Extra Budgetary Resource (EBRs) of Rs. 660 crore as Government of India Bonds by Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) in 2017-18
- Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for the promulgation of the Central Goods and Services Tax (Extension to Jammu & Kashmir) Ordinance, 2017 and replacement of the Ordinance by the Central Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- National Steering Committee on Climate Change (NSCCC), under the Chairmanship of Secretary Environment Ministry, Mr Ajay Narayan Jha, approved the Detailed Project Reports (DPRs) submitted by Governments of Rajasthan, Gujarat and Sikkim for funding under the National Adaptation Fund for Climate Change (NAFCC).
- Cabinet approves alternative mechanism for creation and launch of a New Exchange Traded Fund
- Telangana government has launched a portal “Janahitha” grievance redressal system. This portal will receive complaints from the public. It has been launched on 19 July 2017.
- According to the Government Order, the maximum weight of a school bag with textbooks and notebooks should not exceed 1.5 kg for Class I and II and 2 to 3 kg for Classes III to V.
- According to a senior US counter-terror official more than half of the terror attacks in the world in 2016 took place in five countries, including India and Pakistan.
- As per the Country Reports on Terrorism by the US State Department said that the total number of terror attacks in 2016 were lower than in 2015.
- 55% of all attacks took place in Iraq, Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines.
- 75% of all deaths due to terrorist attacks took place in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Nigeria, and Pakistan.
- According to ADB India is expected to achieve the projected growth rate of 7.4% in 2017 and further up 7.6% on 2018
- The Reserve Bank of India will shortly issue bank notes of denomination Rs 20 in Mahatma Gandhi series 2005. It will be similar in design to those currently in circulation.
- ICRA has launched a new system for rating of infrastructure projects in association with the India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL).
- ICICI Bank will be offering personal loans of up to Rs 15 lakh through its ATMs. It can be availed by salaried customers even if they haven’t previously applied for one.
- According to the second edition of National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) State Investment Potential Index (N-SIPI 2017) report, Gujarat has retained the top position in the list of 21 states and UTs with most investment potential.
- Gujarat is followed by Delhi, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh.
- Haryana and Telangana have moved rapidly up the ranks to finish among the top five.While Gujarat topped on the indicator of economic climate and perceptions, Delhi ranked first in infrastructure.
- On July 19, 2017, Veteran Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani received the Lifetime Achievement Award for his contributions as a parliamentarian in the Lok Sabha.Janata Dal (United) leader Sharad Yadav also received the Lifetime Achievement Award as a Rajya Sabha
- The other awardees from the Lok Sabha included Revolutionary Socialist Party MP K. Premachandran (Best Parliamentarian), Congress leader Kumari Sushmita Devi (Best Woman Parliamentarian) and BJP leader Meenakshi Lekhi (Best Debut Woman Parliamentarian).
- The awardees from the Rajya Sabha included CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury (Best Parliamentarian), Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan (Best Woman Parliamentarian) and Congress MP Rajni Patil (Best Debut Woman Parliamentarian).
- On July 20, 2017, BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) nominee Ram Nath Kovind was elected as the 14th President of India. Mr. Kovind defeated Opposition candidate and former Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
- Mayawati has resigned from the Rajya Sabha for not being allowed to speak about atrocities against Dalits on 18th of July 2017.
- An Actress who is called as Lady Super Star in South is the New Brand Ambassador for Tata Sky. It has been announced on 20th of July 2017.
- Tamil film actor Kamal Haasan has been appointed brand ambassador of Pro Kabaddi League franchise “Tamil Thalaivas”, co-owned by India batting legend Sachin Tendulkar on July 19, 2017
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- Google has launched ‘Hire’, a recruiting app for small- and medium-sized businesses on July 20, 2017. It also integrates seamlessly with G Suite.
- The Indian state of Telangana will have eco-friendly bridges for easy movement of tigers.
- Telangana will have eco-friendly bridges over a canal cutting across the tiger corridor linking the Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR) in the Chandrapur district of Maharashtra with the forests in Telangana’s Kumram Bheem Asifabad district.
- The eco-bridges will be constructed at key spots along the 72 km-long right flank canal of the Pranahita barrage in the Bejjur and Dahegaon mandals.
- One of the locations tentatively assigned for the eco-bridge is a spot close to Sulgupalli in the Bejjur forest range.
- The concept of building eco-bridges came up after visits by experts from the Wildlife Board of India and the Wildlife Institute of India.
- The TATR and its buffer area, which are adjacent to the Sirpur forests, boast of a speedily multiplying tiger population.
- It turns out to be the cause of the frequent migration of tigers into Sirpur and Bejjur.
- Red West, an Actor-song writer died at the age of 81 in USA on July 18, 2017. He was best known for his role as Red alongside Patrick Swayze in “Road House”, and a longtime friend and songwriting partner of Elvis Presley