- On July 12, 2017, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, J P Nadda, launched the National Strategic Plan for Malaria Elimination (2017-22) at a function in New Delhi
- President of India has given assent to the Maharashtra Prohibition of People from Social Boycott (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2016. Maharashtra has thus become the first state in the country to bring a law making social boycott a crime.
- The Indian government has given Army vice-chief Sarath Chand full financial powers to procure weaponry for short intense wars following “critical voids” in capabilities of the Army.
- On July 13, 2017, the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, signed an Institutional agreement with the Punjab State Council of Science and Technology in New Delhi to establish India’s first Technology and Innovation Support Center (TISC) at Patent Information Centre, Punjab, under the World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) TISC program.
- India is set to get its first high-speed rail training centre at Gandhinagar Gujaratannounced on 13th of July 2017.
- Supreme Court has allowed Arunachal Pradesh and Andaman and Nicobar Islands to get exemption from the court’s ban on sale of liquor within 500 metres of National and State Highways.
- Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan visited Istanbul in Turkey from 9th to 12th July, 2017 to represent India at the 22nd World Petroleum Congress (WPC) International Conference.
- India has granted USD 500000 to the Philippines to fight ISIS. It has been given for the rehabilitation and relief efforts in war-torn Marawi City.
- The Marawi crisis is an armed conflict in Marawi that started on 23 May 2017.The militants’ main objective is to raise an ISIL flag at the Lanao del Sur Provincial Capitol.
♦ It is the conflict between Philippine government security forces and affiliated militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant including the Maute and Abu Sayyaf Salafi jihadist groups.
♦ The Armed Forces of the Philippines on 26 May 2017, stated that some of the terrorists are foreigners and offer support to the Maute group in Marawi.
♦ Maute group militants attacked Camp Ranao and occupied several buildings in the city, including Marawi City Hall, Mindanao State University, a hospital and the city jail.
- Malta parliament voted to allow same-sex couples to marry on 12th of July 2017.
♦ Capital: Valletta
♦ Currency: Euro
- A Model United Nations (MUN) Regional Conference is being held from July 10, 2017 at Kathmandu, Nepal. The conference will conclude on July 14, 2017. Model United Nations, is an educational simulation activity in which students can learn about diplomacy, international relations, and the United Nations.
According to the NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant said Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Gujarat are the three best-performing states in “ease of doing business”.
BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd (BRPL) and The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) have signed an MoU to explore collaboration opportunities for solar rooftop, electric vehicles, energy storage systems, energy efficiency and smart grid technologies on 13th of July 2017.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Kishore Sansi, Managing Director and CEO of Vijaya Bank, has been conferred the ‘Personality of the Year’ award by Skoch Consultancy Services on 13th of July 2017.
- The award is part of the ‘Skoch Banking and Financial Leadership’ series.
- Past recipients of the award include C Rangarajan, Dilip Parekh and Nandan Nilekanion 13th of July 2017.
About Vijaya Bank
♦ MD & CEO: Kishore Sansi
♦ HQ: Bengaluru
♦ Founded on: 1931
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
- Former Indian batsman Sandeep Patil has named as the brand ambassador of the Indian Indoor Cricket Team on 12th July 2017.
- Iran has appointed a female CEO to lead its national airline for the first time since it was established in the 1940s.
♦ Capital: Tehran
♦ Currency: Rial
♦ President: Hassan Rouhani
- The Board of Directors of Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF) has appointed former Supreme Court judge, Justice Vikramajit Sen, as the new chairperson of Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC). Justice Vikramajit Sen will hold the position for the next three years.
Google has acquired Bangalore-based artificial intelligence firm Halli Labs. It focuses on Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- The U.S. military conducted a successful test of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system on 11th of July 2017.
- The U.S. successfully shoots down a simulated intermediate-range ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean.
- The test was carried out in Kodiak, Alaska, and shot down a ballistic missile target from an aircraft flying north of Hawaii.
- THAAD has proven more successful than the nation’s Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD) system, which is designed to target an ICBM.
- North Korea is widely believed to be developing an ICBM capable of reaching the U.S. mainland.
- The THAAD system is designed to counter short, medium, and intermediate range missile threats.
- On July 13, 2017, the National Green Tribunal declared the area of 100 metres from the edge of the river Ganga as a ‘no-development zone’ in the stretch between Haridwar to Unnao.
- List of directions given by National Green Tribunal (NGT) to rejuvenate the Ganga:
- NGT has prohibited the dumping of waste within 500 metres from the river.
- NGT has also declared that an environment compensation of Rs. 50,000 will be imposed on anyone who dumps waste in the Ganga River.
- The NGT directed the Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand governments to formulate guidelines for religious activities on the ghats of the Ganga or its tributaries.
- NGT has said the Uttar Pradesh government should be duty-bound to shift tanneries within six weeks, from Jajmau in Kanpur to leather parks in Unnao or any other place it considers appropriate.
- On July 12, 2017, India Women’ Cricket Team Captain Mithali Raj scripted history as she became the all-time leading run-getter in women’s one-day internationals (ODI).
- Mithali, who is leading India at the ICC Women’s World Cupin England, overtook Charlotte Edwards (5992 runs) after scoring her 34th run against Australia in Bristol.
- She reached the landmark in her 183rd ODI, taking 164 innings – 16 less than Charlotte.
- Mithali broke another record when she became the first player in the women’s game to reach 6000 ODI runs when she hit a six off Kristen Beams.
- Mithali made her ODI debut against Ireland in June 1999. So far, Mithali has scored 6028 runs with the help of five centuries and 49 half-centuries.
- Mithali is only the second player in women’s cricket history to average over 50 in ODIs.
- Dr Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State for Culture and Tourism has announced that 8th edition of the greatest carnival of Theatre in the World will take place in India for the first time ever from February 17 – April 08, 2018.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- A coffee-table book on Dalhousie has released on 13th of July 2017 by Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy.
- The book ‘Dalhousie…Through My Eyes’, authored by retired civil servant Kiran Chadha.
- The book will serve as a guide and a knowledge storehouse for the nextgenerations to learn more about Dalhousie and its history and see the beautiful images of it and inspire them to travel to the hill town.