- Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Palestine on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine and cooperation in the field of Information Technology and Electronics (IT&E)
- The government has saved over Rs 57,000 crore with its Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme. By which subsidies are given directly to beneficiaries.
- The DBT programme is an initiative to check graft in welfare funds and was launched by the UPA government on 1st January 2013..
♦ DBT functions under the Cabinet Secretariat.
♦ Its implementation being directly monitored by the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma has launched the ambitious flagship programme titled “Livelihood Intervention and Facilitation of Entrepreneurship” (LIFE) at Songsak in East Garo Hills on 12th of July 2017.
- The Indian Railways launch RailCloud on 12th July 2017 , a virtual server with an inbuilt security system for faster connectivity at a reduced cost.
- Rajasthan is the first state of our country has set minimum educational qualification to candidates for elections to village cooperative societies and various other cooperative bodies.
- The Rajasthan Government modified the State Cooperative State Cooperative Societies Rules, 2003 and the new rules expected the benefit around 10,000 cooperative and agricultural credit societies. The notification was released on July 10, 2017
- Qualification needed to become a member of contesting election
The minimum educational qualification from class 5 to class 8 is must for members of dairy societies, farming societies, consumer societies, weavers’ societies, urban banks, housing construction societies, primary land development banks, credit societies and cooperative unions.
- The minimum educational qualification of primary committee members is of class 8.
- The minimum qualification required is class 10 for district level members
- A member of State level committee must be a graduate.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Committee met for its 41st session in Krakow, Poland, from 2nd to 12th July 2017
- During this session 21 new sites have been inscribed to UNESCO’s World Heritage List.Among these were 18 cultural and three natural sites. In addition to the new inscriptions, the Committee also approved five site boundary changes.
- The 5.5 km walled city area in Ahmedabad, Gujarat with an approximate population of four lakh has been declared India’s first World Heritage City by UNESCO.
- NATO military exercises in Eastern Europe have begun in Bulgaria. It involves 25,000 military personnel from more than 20 allied and partner countries
- SBI has waived charges for fund transfer of up to Rs 1,000 through its IMPS(Immediate Payment Service) to promote small transactions.
- IMPS is an instant interbank electronic fund transfer service through mobile phones as well as Internet banking.
- State Bank of India charge Rs 5 along with the applicable service tax for IMPS fund transfer of up to Rs 1,000.
- For IMPS, the charge will be Rs 5 along with GST for fund transfer in the range of Rs 1,000 to Rs 1 lakh.
- The charge will go up to Rs 15 for transactions of Rs 1-2 lakh.
- GST at the rate of 18% is applicable on all financial transactions.
- YES BANK, India’s fourth largest private sector bank, along with YES Global Institute has launched ‘YES GST’ program for MSMEs(Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) under its MSME CSR initiative, ‘Say YES to Sustainable MSMEs in India’.
- The Chhattisgarh government has planned to merge all district cooperative central banks (DCCBs) of the state into a single State Cooperative Bank.
- HAL has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Ministry of Defence for the financial year 2017-18.
- HAL’s motive is on Make-in-India projects such as Hindustan Turboprop Trainer-40 (HTT-40), Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) and Light Utility Helicopter (LUH).
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
- Japanese auto major Nissan has appointed Thomas Kuehl as president of its Indian operations on 12th of July 2017.
- Ravi Shastri was appointed as new head coach of Indian cricket team on 12 July 2017. Former India pacer Zaheer Khan will be the bowling coach while Rahul Dravid, who is also the India A and U-19 coach, will be batting consultant on overseas Test tours..
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- According to NASA’s Juno mission has completed a close flyby of Jupiter’s Great Red Spot on 12th of July 2017. This flyby came as part of Juno’s sixth science orbit around the planet the next close flyby will occur 1st Sept.
- Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has inaugurated Doppler Weather Radar on 12th of July 2017.
- Doppler Weather Radar is built by Indian Meteorological Department at Koc
To solve the severe drinking water shortage in the country, Desalination Mission will be launched in the country with the support of NITI Ayog.
- Astronomers from Cambridge University have discovered a smallest star in our galaxy.
- The star known as EBLM J0555-57Ab is almost 600 light-years away from Earth.
- It can be easily seen from the Southern Hemisphere if viewed from telescope.
- The new star is just a bit larger than Saturn and has a gravitational pull approximately 300 times stronger than that on Earth.
- Being 2000 to 3000 times fainter than Sun, EBLM J0555-57Ab contains a mass similar to that of Trappist-1.
- Another small star discovered by NASA and surrounded by seven planets is almost two thirds the size of Trappist-1.
- Renowned forensic expert and Padma Bhushan awardee Prof Dr P Chandra Sekharandied on 12th of July 2017.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- BJP President Amit Shah and RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat has released a coffee table book on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s life in New Delhi.
- Malala Day is celebrated on July 12 in honour of Nobel Peace Prize and UN activist Malala Yousafzai.
- On July 12, 2013, Malala Yousafzai, a Pakistani girl engaged in the promotion of women’s education, delivered an impassioned speech at the United Nations (UN) headquarters regarding the importance and need of gender equality in education.