- On July 10, 2017, President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the ‘Ashiana Annexe’ in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. At the inauguration function, MoU between M/s. Prashak Techno Enterprises and Central Building Research Institute was signed to collaborate for effective proliferation of Habitech-NivaraTantra Technology solutions.
- In the presence of Shri Bandaru Dattatreya, the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Labour & Employment, A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between ESIC and Directorate General Factory Advice Service & Labour Institutes (DGFASLI) for collaboration in the field of occupational health and prevention of occupational injuries and diseases signed in New Delhi on 11th July .
- The Maharashtra Government has launched the ‘Antara’ program on account of World Population Day, which involves giving women the Modroxy Progesterone Acetate (MPA) injection to prevent unwanted pregnancy. The government is providing it free of cost.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has announced to set up an international standard sports city announced on 11th of July 2017.
- Kalinga International Sport City will be set up in Bhubaneswar and will be eligible to bid for most international competitions including Commonwealth and Asian games.
The chief minister stated that the state will also have satellite stadia with world class infrastructure in Cuttack, Sambalpur, Berhampur and Rourkela.
- CM Arvind Kejriwal has launched e-RTI in Delhi and has become second state to accept online application. It has been launched on 10th of July 2017.
- Karnataka State government has constituted a nine-member committee headed by Principal Secretary, Department of Kannada and Culture, to study legalities for separate State flag in Karnataka.
- The National Conference of Chief Secretaries of States and Union Territories organised by NITI Aayog is held in New Delhi on July 10, 2017
- According to OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2017-2026, released by Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Food and Agriculture
- Organization(FAO) of the United Nations, India will be the world’s largest milk producer by 2026and will account for the biggest increase in wheat production globally.
- According to the Islamic State militant group its supreme leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has died.
- A 21-year-old man has become the first in Britain to give birth to a girl on 9th of July 2017.
- Thomas Beatie became the first man to give birth in the US in 2008.
- Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley was the Chief Guest on the occasion of 36th Foundation Day of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), celebrated at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi on July 11, 2017.
- Axis Bank has announced a collaboration with Inter- American Investment Corporation that it will help traders boost relations between India and Latin America.
♦ CEO: Shikha Sharma
♦ Headquarters: Mumbai
♦ Founded: 1990, Ahmedabad
- Five states and a union territory including Gujarat and Telangana would ink an MoU with Government e-Market (GeM) for smart procurement of goods and services.
- As per the government the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) will ensure timely payment by state departments to the vendors registered on the GeM portal.
- The other states that will ink the agreement are Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and union territory Puducherry.
- GeM was launched by the commerce ministry to bring greater transparency and efficiency in public procurement.
- It has been made mandatory on GeM to make payment to the vendors within 10 days of receipt of goods and services.
Indian Railways Organization for Alternate Fuel
(IROAF) has set gold standards by winning Golden Peacock Award for Eco Innovation for the year 2017
for introducing eco friendly and cost saving Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
based Dual Fuel 1400 HP Diesel engines on Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) trains.
- Debi Prasad Dash has taken over as the Director General of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Vistara has announced appointment of Leslie Thng as its Chief Executive Officer from October this year.
- Group president of HR & Corporate Services at Mahindra & Mahindra, Rajeev Dubey has been elected to the governing board of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) in Geneva. Rajeev has been elected against the seat for South Asia.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- The findings mark the first time a vaccine has shown any protection against gonorrhea.Researchers say a vaccine, originally developed to protect against a strain of meningitis, has been shown to ward off gonorrhea – a sexually transmitted infection.
- The researchers at the University of Auckland used data from 11 sexual health clinics for all people aged 15 to 30 who had been diagnosed with gonorrhea or chlamydia, or both, and who had also been eligible to be immunised against meningitis in the 2004-2006 campaign.
- Complications of gonorrhoea disproportionally affect women, including pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and infertility, as well as an increased risk of HIV.
- Despite the diseases being very different in symptoms and transmission modes, the bacteria Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Neisseria meningitidis have an up to 90 percent genetic match, providing a biologically plausible mechanism.
- National Green Tribunal (NGT) imposed a ban on nylon and synthetic ‘manja’ the string used to fly kites as it poses a threat to the lives of birds, animals and humans.
- State governments have been directed to prohibit the “manufacture, sale, storage, purchase and use” of synthetic ‘manja’ or nylon threads and all other synthetic threads used for flying kites.
- A bench headed by NGT chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar said there will be a total ban on the ‘manja’, which are made of nylon or any other synthetic material or are coated with non-biodegradable substances.
- PETA had clarified that minor children were engaged by the cottage industry for the manufacture of ‘manja’ which caused respiratory problems and is extremely harmful to their health.
- Elsa Martinelli, the veteran Italian actress, best known for her work in the 1955 film “The Indian Fighter” passed away in Rome. She was 82.
Martinelli’s last role in an English-language film was as Carla the Agent in Eugene Levy-directed ensemble comedy “Once Upon a Crime,” in 1992.
- She appeared in more than 40 feature films.
- Renowned cartoonist Mangesh Tendulkar passed away on 10th of July in Pune. He was 83.
- World Population day is observed every year on July 11th 2017 to raise awareness of global population issues since 1989.
- Theme of World Population Day 2017 is ‘Family Planning: Empowering People, Developing Nations‘
- Aim: To raise awareness on various population issues such as the importance of family planning, gender equality, poverty, maternal health and human rights.
- J P Nadda launches new family planning initiatives Mission Parivar Vikas will focus on 146 high fertility districts in 7 states with high TFR on World Population Day celebration.
♦ Mission Parivar Vikas is a new initiative conceived by the Ministry with a strategic focus on improving access through provision of services, promotional schemes, commodity security, capacity building, enabling environment and intensive monitoring.
♦ He alson introduced the new injectable in the public health system under the Antara” program and launched a new software Family Planning Logistics Management Information System (FP-LMIS) designed to provide robust information on the demand and distribution of contraceptives to health facilities and ASHAs to strengthen supply chain management.