1994- UPPCS Upper Subordinate Prelims solved Question Paper
1994-UPPCS UPPER SUBORDINATE PAPER
- Which of the following is correct ?
(a) All the blood in the body is absorbed through the kidneys.
(b) All the blood in the body passes through the kiddneys. ‘• ‘
(c) All the blood in the body is filtered through the kidneys.
(d) All the blood in the body is made through the kidneys.. .
- A hydrophyte is :
(a) a marine animal (b) an aquatic plant
. (c) a plant disease (d) a rootless plant
3, When a glass rod is placed in steam, its length increasesbut its width :
(a) remains unchanged (b) decreases
(c) increases (d) becomes irregular
- The substance which makes up about 80 % of the living material in most organisms is :
(c) Carbohydrates (d) Minerals
- Consider the following statements :
-Assertion (A) – India’s nuclear policy incorporates its unpreparedness to open its nuclear plants for
Reason(R)- India will not produce any nuclear bomb.
Select your answer form the code given below :
(a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true but (R; is not the correct explanation.
(c) (A) is true and (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false but (R) is true.
- Why does an iron nail float on mercury while it sinks in water ?
(a) Due to less chemical interaction of iron withmercury than it is with water.
(b) Iron is heavier than water and lighter than mercury.
(c) Iron has greater denisty then water and lesser then mercury.
(d) Mercury is heavier than water.
- The number of images of an object placed between two parallel mirrors is:
(a) Two (b) One
(c) Six (d) Infinite
- Tnple antigen is given to a child to prevent
(b) Diphtheria whooping cough, tetanus
.(c) Smallpox, whooping cough, tetanus
(d) Polio, tetanus, whooping cough.
- Oil spreads over the surface of water because :
(a) Oil is more dense than water
(b) Oil is less dense than water.
(c) Oil has more surface tension than water
(d) Oil has less surface tension than water
- The working principle of atom bomb is nuclear fission of uranium and the working principle of hydrogen bomb
(a) nuclear fusion of deuterium.
(b) nuclear fission of thorium.
(c) explosion of bomb involving hydrogen gas.
(d) explosion involving dynamite and T.N.T.
- Telescope was invented by
(d) Graham Bell
- Which compound is present in D.N.A.does not form amino acid ?
(a) Adenine . (b) Tyrosene
(c) Guanine (d) Cystosine
- It is difficult to walk On ie than on road because
(a) Ice is harder than road.
(b) Road is harder than ice.
<c) Ice does not offer any reaction when we push
it with our foot.
(d) Ice has a lesser friction than road.
- Pencil lead is :
(a) graphite ‘
(c) lamp black ,
- Which of the following subjects deals with studies in population and vital statistics of human communities ?
(a) Ecology (b) Genetics
(c) Demography (d). Virology *
- Consider the following statements:
Assertion (A) -Earnest Rutherford asserted before the Royal Society that man will never get nuclear power
Reason(R)- He was sure that Einstein law will fail, and mass wil not be converted into energy.
Select your answer from the coding scheme given BELOW
(a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is correct explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true but (R) is correct explanation.
(c) (A) is true and (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false but (R) is true.
- Television signals cannot be received beyond a certain distance because :
(a) signals are weak
(b) antenna is weak
(c) air absorbs signals
(d) the surface of the earth is curved.
- Why do pendulum clocks usually lose time in summer ?
(a) Due to longer days in summer.
(b) Due to friction caused by coils.
(c) Length of the pendulum increases, increasing ” the time period of unit oscillation.
(d) The weight of the pendulum increases in summer. •
- Why does water boil at temperature below 100°C at higher altitudes ?
(a) The. atmospheric pressure decreases and hence boiling point is lowered.
(b) The gravitational attraction is less.
(c) Because of heavy winds in mountains.
(d) None of the above is correct
- In a diesel engine the fuel used is :
(a) vapour of diesel and air
(b) diesel only
(c) mixture of diesel and petro
(d) mixture of diesel, air and petro
- Mr. Nelson Mandela was released from jail after 27 years on :
(a) February 11,199 (b) January 26, 1990
(c) December 6, 1989 (d) March 31, 1990
- Which of the following pairs is correctly matched?
(a) NationalCommission – M.N. Buch on Urbanisation
(b) Atomic Energy Commission- M.R Srinivasan
(c) National Commission – Raja Chelliah
on Rural Labour
(d) Urban Art Commission – H.Y. Sharda
- Central Mining Reasearch Institute is situated at:
(a) Cuttack (b) Dhanbad
(c) Jameshedpur (d) Bhavnagar
- Two nuclear power units are being constructed in Utter Pradesh at :
(a) Haridwar (b) Mussoorie
(c) Narora (d) Narendranagar
- Operation ‘Desert Storn’ was the war between :
(a) Iraq and Iran
(b) Iraq and the Kurds
(c) America and its allies against Iraq
- The seat of International Court of Justice is established at:
(a) Geneva (b) Hague
(c) Chicago (d) Switzerland
- The year 1986 was observed as the International Year of :
(a) Disabled (b) Blind
(c) Shelter for homeless (d) Women
- Who won the mein’s single title in U.S. Open Tennis Championship, 1991 ?
(a) Boris Becker (b) Jim courier ‘
(c) Ivan Lendl (d) Stefen Edberg
- India’s First remote sensing satellite (I.R.S.-1A) was launched from :
(a) Baikonour (b) Cape Kennedy
(c) French Guiana ‘ (d) Sri Harikota
- The Indian appointed as Chairman of the International Antiwar Organisation in 1988 was:
(a) Morarji Desai
(b) Rajiv Gandhi
(c) Narain Desai
(d) Bhulabhai Desai
- BJP leader L.K, Advaai proceeding towards
- one of the following countries recently adopted a new Constitution?
- a) Afghanistan (b) Burma
(c) Denmark (d) Germany
- Out of the following countries erstwhile Soviet Republics V Landbergis is the President of :
(a) Estonia (b) Latvia
(c) Lithuania (d)Armenia
- In June, 1991 a friendship and Non-aggression Treaty was signed between :
(a)Russia and USA (b) India and Nepal
(c)Poland and Germany (d) Pakistan and China
35.Consider the following statements associated with Chernobyl tragedy :
I It is located in Siberia.
II The tragedy killed 31 citizens and led to evacuations of lakhs of people
III It caused radiation sickness in in several countries
IV It has forced some countries to decide for abandoning the nuclear power altogether
Select the correct answer from the code given below ;
(a) I only (b) I, and II,III
(c) II III and IV (D)I, II, III and V
- To which foreigner was ‘Bharat Ratna’ awarded in 1990 ?
(a) Mother Teresa. (b)Nelson Mandela
(c) Mikhail Gorbachov (d) `Saddam Hussain
- Who was given the ‘Kalidas Award’ for the year 1990?
(a) Vijai Tendulkar
(b) Shamsher Bahadur Singh
(c) Keshav Malik
(d) Dr Madan Lai Madhu
- When INSAT I-D of India was launched ?
(a; 10th June, 1990 (b) 12th June, J990
(c) 13th June, 1990 (d) 15thJune,1990
- When was the agreement to dismantle ‘Medium Range Missiles’ signed between President Reagan of U.S.A. and
Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachov ?
(a) December, 1987 (b) January. 1988
(c) September,1986′(d) October 1987
40.Which of the following Great Powers of fhe world did not send its army to take part in the last Gulf war ?
(a) Great Britain (b) France
(c)China (d) America
- Which of the following throws light on
Harrapan Culture ?
(a) Rock edicts
(b) the writings in terracota seals
(c) Archaeological excavation
(d) All the above
- Which one of the following statements about Arthashastra is not true ?
(a) It prescribes the duty of a king.
(b) It describes the then economic life of the country.
(c) It lays down the principles of politics.
(d) It highlights theneed for financial reforms.
- Rock-cut- temples of Mahabalipuram were built by :
(a) Pallavas •
- Study the following names of the contemporaries of Kanishka and mark our answer according to the answer code
given below :
(III) Kalidasa (IV)Kambar
Answer code •
(a) I and IV (b) II and III
(c)I and II (d) All of them
- Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched ?
(a) Ellora Caves Saka
(b) Mahabalipuram Rashtrakutas
(c) Minakshi Temple Pallavas
(d) Khajuraho Chandels
- Which one of the following is the earliest’SCHOOL OF iNDIAN PHILLOSOPHY ?
(A)Sankhya (b) Vaisesika
(c) Karm Mimansa (d) Yoga
- Ibn Batuta, the Moorish traveller, visited
India during the reign of:
(a) Mohammad Bin Tughlak.
(d) Mahmood Ghazni
- During which age did women enjoy equality with men ?
(a) Gupta age
(b) Mauryan age
(c) Both of these
(d) None of thes
- The pahari School’,’Rajput School’,’Mughal School’ and ‘Kangra School’ represent different styles in the art
(a) Architecture (b) Painting
(c) Dancing (d) music
- Consider the following statements connected with Allauddin Khilji :
I -He collected revenue by measuring the cultivated land.
II- He enforced revenue measures in his entire empire.
III-He abolished the powers of Provincial Governors.
select the correct answer from coding scheme given below:
(a) Iand II
(B) II and III
(C) I AND III
(d) I, II and III
Assertion(A)-Arangzeb succedded Shahjahan to the Mughal throne .
Reason(R)- the law of primogeniture was followed .
Select the correct answer from the coding scheme given below:
(A) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R)is the correct explanation of (A).
(B) Both (A) and (R) are true but (R) isnot the correct explanation of (A).
(C) (A) is true and (R) is false.
(D) (A) is false and (R) is true.
- The thoughts of which of the following Sufi saint have been incorporated in the religions book incorporated
in the religions book ‘Adi Granth’ of the sikhs?
(a) Sheikh moinudin Chishti
(b) Qutub-uddin Bakhtiar Kaki
(d)Sheikh Nizaamuddin Aulia
- In the third batlle of Panipat Marathas were
defeated by :
54 Avadh was annexed to British empire in India by:
(a) Policy of subsidiary alliance
(b)Doctrine of lapse
(c) By decelaring the state as maladministered
(d)By waging war
- who among the following greatmen is called the ‘Father of Indian Renaissance’?
(b) Raja Ram Mohan Roy
(c) Rabindra Nath Tagore
(d) Dayanand Saraswati
Assertion (A): The First War of Independence in 1857 failed to secure freedom form the British Government.
Reason (R) : The leadership of Bahadur Shah Zafar did not have popular on support most of the Indian rulers of
important shied.away from the struggle.
Select the correct answer from the code given blow:`
(a) Both (A) and (R) true and (R) is explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true but (R) is not correct explanation of (A);
(c) (A) is true and (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false but (R) is true.
- The secret of success of East India Company in India was:
(a) Absence of nationalism in India. •
(b) the company had western trained infantry armed with modern Weapons.
(c) The Indian soldiers lacked national sprit and could be hired by any one who paid them well.
(d) All the three above.
- The Regulating Act was passed in:
- (c) 1785
- Match List I with List II and select the correct answer from the code given below :
List I List-II
- Clive A. Removal of press restriction
- Bentinck B. Partition of Bengal
- Charles C.Dual Govt. in Bengal
- Curzon D. English Education
(a) 1C 2D 3A 4B
(b) ID 2A 3C 4B
(c) IB 2D 3C 4A
(d) 1C 2B 3A 4D
60 Morley-Minto Reforms Bill was passed in :
- In the Indian Constitution the Directive Principles of State Policy were borrowed from:
(a) Britain (b) Ireland
- Which one of the following is not included in the Fundamental Rights ?
(a) Right to property
(b) Right to form association
(c) Right of assembly
(d) Right to move and stay in any part 0f the country?
- Out of the following Viceroys of India in whose time ‘Indian Penel Code,Civil Procedure Code and Criminal
Procedure Code were passed ?
(b) Lord Mayo
(d) Lord Dufferin
- Which of the following statements is correct
regarding the Rajya Sabha ?
(a) One-third of its members retire every two years
(b) One-half of its members retire every two years
(c) One^-half of its members retire every three years •
(d) One-third of its members retire every three years
65* The citizenship provided by the Constitution of India is :
(a) Dual citizenship
(b) Single citizenship
(c) Both of the above
(d) None of the above
- Judicial review implies the right of the Court to :
(a) declare any law or order invalid if it is in conflict with the.Constitution
(b) review the order of the lower courts.
(c) hear appeals against the decission of the lower courts.
(d) review the laws to see that they have been passed as per the procedure laid down.
- Which of the following procedures will enable the adoption of a Money Bill that was once passed by the Lok
Sabha but was amended by the Rajya Sabha ?
(a) It will go to the President.
. (b) The Lok Sabha will have to pass it with 2/3rd majority of the members sitting and voting,
(c) A joint session of the two Houses will be called. •
‘(d) It will be deemed to have been passed if the LokSabha passes it again either by accepting
or rejecting the amendments.
- The fourth President of India was :
(a) Sri V.VGiri
- (b) Dr. S. Radhakrishnan
(c) Dr. ZakirHussain
(d) Dr. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed
- ThP first Panchayati raj system was inaugurated by Pt Jawahar Lal Nehru on 12th October, 1959 at:
(a) Sabarmati .
- Match the following plans and programmes :
- 1stPlan 1. Rapid Industrilisation
- 2nt Plan 2. Community Development
- 3rd Plan 3, Expansion of basic industries
- 4th Plan 4. Minimum Needs Progranme
- 5th Plan 5. Achievement of self-reliance and growth with stability
Select the correct answer form the code below i
A B C D E
(a) 1 2 3 4 5
(b) 2 1 4 5 3
(c) 2 1 3 4 5
(d) 2 1 3 5 4
- The strategy adopted under I.R.D.P.in the Seventh Plan was :
(a) Adoption of total house-hold approach .
(b) Adoption of village approach
(c) Adoption of block approach
(d) Adoption of district approach
- Which out of the following States has the highest per capita income ?
- Balance of payment is defined as :
(a) The value of exports minus the value of imports.
(b) The difference between the liabilities and assets of a firm.
(c) The difference between current expenditure and current revenue in the goverment budget.
(d) Complete record of all economic transactions between the residents of a country and rest of the world.
- The Devaluation is :
(a) Reduction of prices
(b) Deficit financing
(c) Loans from World Bank and I.M.F
(d) Reduction in the value of currency in terms of gold.
- Which among the following Articles of the Constitution provides for the abolition of untouchability in any
(a) Article 14 .
(b) Article 17
(c) Article 19
(d) None of the above
- The President of India can be removed form office even before the expiry of the
(a) by the plitical party in power
(b) by the Prime Minister •
(c) through impeachment –
(d) through trial by court
- Which of the following can be comparedto ‘Prince’ of Machiavelli ?
(a) Kalidasa’s ‘Malvikagni Mitram
(c) Vatsyanana’s ‘Kamsutra’
(d) Thiruvalluvar’s ‘Thirukkural’
78.AYURYVEDA’ that is ‘sCIENCE OF LIFE’ Appeared first in:
- The importance given to the Deputy Chairman of the planning Commission in the official hierarch of the
Government is that he is given the rank of :
(a) A cabinet minister in the Government of India
(b) A Supreme Court Judge
(c) Chairman of a Parliamentary
(d) A Secretary to the Government of India
- The Solicitor General of India is :
(a) An Administrative officer
(b) A legal adviser
(c) An adviser to Prime Minister
(d) A law officer for giving advice to the President of India
- Which one of following States is the largest producer of tea in India ?
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
(d) West Bengal
- Which of the following areas have an average of 200 mm rainfall in India ?
(a) Kerala, Tamilanadu, Karanataka
(b) Jammu and Kashmir
(c) West Bengal, Orissa, Bihar
(d) Assam, Manipur, Tripura
- The biggest desert of the world is:
- The concept Neo-Determinism in Geography was advanced by:
(a) Miss Semple
(b) G. Taylor
- Korba in Madhya Pradesh is known for :
86 Match List I with List II and select the correct answer from the-code :
ListI List II
- Singrauli 1. Oil
- Kajarhat 2. Milk
- Anand 4.Cement
Code: A B C D
(a) 1 2 3 4
(b) 2 3 4 1
(c) 3 4 1 2
(d) 4 3 2 1
- India export maximum leather to:
- Equinox,the two periods in the year wnen day and night are equal, occurs on :
(a) 21st march and 22nd September
(b) 22nd February and 23rd August
(c) 15th October and 23rd April
- d) 22nd July and 22nd December
89.Green revolution had the greatest impact on : ^
90.Which of the following is known as’the Continent of Birds’?
(c) South America
- Bhakra nangal is a joint project of the States:
(a) Haryana, Punjab and Rajasthan
(b) Punjab, J & K, and Rajasthan
(c) U.P, Panjab and Rajasthan
(d) U.P, J & K and Punjab
- India has an abundant volume of rainfall but is still regarded as a thirsty land. This is due to :
(a) Rapid run off of water
(b) Quick evaporation of rain water
(c) Concentratio rainfall during a few months only
(d) All the above
- Datum line :
- a) is a horizontal line from where heights and depths are measured
(b) is the line of demarcation between Pakistan and India
(c) refers to the date line or calendar line
(d) is an imaginary line which passes through zero degree meridian
- Which of the following countries is called the sugar bowl of the world’ ?
(a) Ceylon. (b) Pakistan
(c) India (d)Cuba
- In which rock system ,out of the following is iron-ore found in india ?
96-Maginot line was :
(a) boundary France and Germany .
(b) boundary between East Germany and Poland y
(c) boundary between U.S.A AND canada
(d) Boundary between India and Afghanistan
97 Match list-I with list-II and select the correct answer from the code given below:
- Vasco-de-Gama 1. Spain
- ChristopherColumbus 2.Portugal
- Captain Cook 3. Holland
- Tasman 4. Great Britain
A B C D
(a) 3 2 1 4
(B) 2 1 4 3
(c) 1 4 3 2
(d) 4 3 2 1
- Based on the census of 1981 which of the following four States had density of population
in descending order ?
(a) Kerala, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh,Bihar
(b) Kerala, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh
(c) Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh
(d) Bihar, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala
- ‘Project Tiger’of the Government envisages:
(a) to observe the habits of the tiger
. (b) Collect vital information about different species
(c) to save the Indian tiger from extinction
(d) None of these
- Match List I (States) with List II (Capitals) and select the correct answer from the code given below :
List I List II
- Assam 1- Shillong
- Nagaland 2. Kohima
- Arunachal Pradesh 3. Dispur •
- Meghalaya 4. Itanagar
A B C D
2 3 1 4
3 2 4 1
4 1 3 2
1 4 2 3
- Antipartition movement of Bengal was initiated on:
(a) 20th July, 1905
(B) 7th August, 1905
(c) 16th October, 1905
(d) 7th November, 1905
102.The date APRIL 6,1930 is known in Indian history for:
(a) First Round Table Conference in London
(b) Non-cooperation Movement
(c) Gandhi-Irwin Pact
(d) Dandi March by Mahatma Gandhi
- Chandra Shekhar Azad, the revolutionary leader was killed by the Britsh by:
(b) being beaten to death
(c) being shot dead in encounter
(d) being run over by a military jeep
- Who out of the following was given the award of ‘Rashtra Kavi’ due to his influencing
contribution the Independence movement to of India through his literary works ?
(a) Matithili Sharan Gupta
(b) Jai Shankar Prasad
(c) Sumitra Nandan Pant
(d) Ram Dhari Singh
- The first war of Independence (1857) started from :
- Local Self-Government institutions in India were streng ened in 1882 by:
(a) Georege Barlow (b) Lord Rippon
(c) Lord Curzon (d)Lord Lyllon
- Khilafat Swarj Party was formed by:
(a) Rajendra Prasad
(b) Subhash Chandra Bose
(c)C.R.Das and Moti Lai nehru
108.The remark ‘Nehru is a patriot, while Jinnah is a politician was made by :
(a) M.K. Gandhi
(b)Maulana Azad ‘
(c) Sir Mohammad Iqbal
(d) Khan Abdul GaffarKhan
- Find the correct matches in List (1) and (2) in
the alternatives given there under:
List(l) List (2)
- Prarthana a. Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- Brahmo Samaj. b. Vivekananda
- Arya Samaj c. Dayanand Saraswati
4.Ram Krishna Mission d. Ram Krishna Paramhansa
(a) 1(A) 2(B) 3(C) 4(D)
(b) 1(B) 2(E) 3(A) 4(C)
(C) 1(D) 2(A) 3(C) 4(E)
(d) 1(D) 2(A) 3(C) 4(B)
110.The following are the events of national movements:
I Champaran Satyagraha
II Non-cooperation Movement
III ‘Quit India’ Movement
IV Dandi March
The correct chronical order is :
(a) I, II IV III
(b) II I III IV
(c) III II I IV
(d) II III I IV
- Two Home Rule Leagues were started in 1915-16 under the leadership of
(a) Tilak and Annie Besant
(b) Tilak and Aurobindo Ghosh
(c) Tilak and Lala Lajpat Rai .
(d) Tilak and Vipin Chandra Pal
- According to Gandhiji non-violence is :
(a) a way to attain’truth
(b) a way to win political freedom
(c) the only way to realise God
(d) an end in itself
- Indians were assured of many things in the declaration by queen Victoria in 1858. Which among the following
assurances was fulfilled by the British Government ?
(a) Policy of annexation will be abandoned .
(b) ‘Status quo’ of the native rulers would be maintained.
(c) Equal treatment would be given to all subjects, Indians and Europeans
(d) There would be no interference in the social and religious beliefs of the Indians
- The formula for transfer of sovereignty to India in 1947 was known as :
(a) Durand Plan
(b) Morely-Minto Reforms
(c) Mountbatten Plan
(d) Wavell Plan
115- Select the correct chronological order of the following from the code given below :
(a) Rowlatt Act
(b) Simon Commission .
(c) Home Rule Movement
(d) Gandhi-Irwin Pact
- Cabinet Mission, 1946 comprised of three cabinet ministers. Who among the following was not its member ?
(a) Lord Pathic Lawrence
(b) A.V Alexander
(c) Sir Stafford Cripps (d)Lord Emery
- Who from the following killed General Dyer responsible for Jallianwala Bagh massacre ?
(a) Prithvi Singh Azad
(b) Sardar Kishan Singh
(c) Udham Singh
(d) Sohan Singh Josh
- After Poona Pact of 1932, Harijan sewak Sangh was established. Its President was :
(a) Jagjiwan Ram –
(b)Ghanshyam Das Birla
(d) Amrit Lal Thakkar
- The main centre of the ‘Bahai Movement which started in the nineteenth century was :
- Who from among the following was the Chairman of the Congress session of Delhi wherein resoltion of divided
India was passed on june 14,1947?
(a) Rajendra Prasad
(b) Sardar Vallabh Bhai
(c) Acharya J.B. kripalani
(d) Jawahar LaL Nehru